cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SLM224G VLAN Trunk Help! -> Problem Solved!

AndreiBoghiu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm having some difficulties setting up the switch, I can't figure out how to set up the Trunk port for the VLANs created. I have configured under VLAN Management, VLANs 10 and 20, I have asigned ports e1,e2,e3,e4,e5,e6 with PVID 10 and e7,e8,e9,e10,e11,e12 with PVID 20 and the rest to defaul PVID 1 ,Aceptable frame = All + Ingress filtering on. Under port to VLAN -> VLAN10 -> ports e1,e2,e3,e4,e5,e6 Tagged + e24 Tagged (I want this to be the Trunk)   and VLAN20 ->  e7,e8,e9,e10,e11,e12 Tagged + e24 Tagged. Theats all that I have configured according to the SLM_Admin_Guide.pdf and I have connected the e24 (trunk port) to a Pf sense server(the server is configured with the same VLAN IDs as on the switch)          Please someone tell me how to set up the trunk?? I know that there is no option in Port settings to set "Acces" or "Trunk".... so what does that mean? that the SLM224G does not support VLAN Trunk? I have seen some screenshots with the Linksys SLM224G and it had the "Acces" or "Trunk" setting.... and Cisco does NOT.  HELP!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Interesting I see two different GUI's in your screen captures, looks like two different machines. :-)

But  on the SLM's bigger brother, the SRW series, and I am relating the following to the SRW series, because i don't have a SLM in front of me,  i would set the;

Step 1. port settings interface back,  leaving the PVID at 1 then scroll down and  save that option .

Step 2.  On that ' ports setting's GUI picture you have,  I would place the switch  ports that need to be trunked in Trunk mode. If the port is to be untagged in VLAN 1  only, then  i would leave the port settings in 'access' mode.

( Access mode allows for a port to only  be a member of one untagged VLAN only.)

(trunked mode allows for the switch port to be a member of many tagged VLANs, but still untagged in one vlan only usually the default vlan)

Step 3.  Then I would goto the' Vlan to port' tab, to Tagged for ports beloning to vlan 10  then scroll down and  save that option.

step 4   Then I would goto the' Vlan to port' tab,  to Tagged for ports beloning to vlan 20  then scroll down and  save that option.

By default vlan1 in the bigger brother SRW series would then be untagged on all port and vlan10 and vlan 20 could be tagged on appropriate ports.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

The port setting in the default state is like a trunk but only a member of the management vlan.

You can adjust the rules on the port by allowing untagged only, (Access port), or setting it to all (Trunk).

At this point, all you have to do is add the vlans to the port and if they are tagged or untagged.

If you change the pvid on a port, it makes it an access port unless you add more vlans.

Hopefully this will lead you in the right path Andrei.

Yes it makes sence what you say, I tryed to set it up like that but it doesn't work,

e1,e2,e3,e4,e5,e6          Acceptable frame type = "Tagged"

e7,e8,e9,e10,e11,e12    Acceptable frame type = "Tagged"

e24                              Acceptable frame type = "All"

tryed both tagged or untagged type in Port to VLAN, added e24 to VLAN 10 and VLAN 20... still nothing

and another thing, I have noticed that if I set Acceptable frame type = "Tagged" for the ports, they won't ping, only in Acceptable frame type = "All" they work in the same VLAN.

Here's a photo of what i mean when i say about that "trunk" and "Acces" modes... this is a Linksys SRW224G, the CISCO SLM224G doesn't have the mode option..

As a last resort the only thing that I can do is to put a NIC on  my Pfsense server for every VLAN I've created on the switch, because the trunk thing doesn't work... any other ideas?

Hi

Interesting I see two different GUI's in your screen captures, looks like two different machines. :-)

But  on the SLM's bigger brother, the SRW series, and I am relating the following to the SRW series, because i don't have a SLM in front of me,  i would set the;

Step 1. port settings interface back,  leaving the PVID at 1 then scroll down and  save that option .

Step 2.  On that ' ports setting's GUI picture you have,  I would place the switch  ports that need to be trunked in Trunk mode. If the port is to be untagged in VLAN 1  only, then  i would leave the port settings in 'access' mode.

( Access mode allows for a port to only  be a member of one untagged VLAN only.)

(trunked mode allows for the switch port to be a member of many tagged VLANs, but still untagged in one vlan only usually the default vlan)

Step 3.  Then I would goto the' Vlan to port' tab, to Tagged for ports beloning to vlan 10  then scroll down and  save that option.

step 4   Then I would goto the' Vlan to port' tab,  to Tagged for ports beloning to vlan 20  then scroll down and  save that option.

By default vlan1 in the bigger brother SRW series would then be untagged on all port and vlan10 and vlan 20 could be tagged on appropriate ports.

Yes, probably theat would work for the SRW, but i have to setup the CISCO SLM224G, and the problem is i don't have that "mode" option to setup "Trunk" or "Acces"...

So... it leades to the next obviously question: the Cisco SLM224G doesn't have the so called "trunk" or "acces" feature? and if it doesn't, what's the point of theat "VLAN to port" setting from where you can asign VLANs to specific ports, if it cannot work like a "trunk" port?

If they say that it is 802.1q VLAN, i believe it has the trunk option to, this option was introduced by Cisco in 1998, so... does it have it, or it doesn't. I can't imagine it having only VLANs without this feature.

Wikipedia.com

Trunk ports and the native VLAN

Clause 9 of the 1998 802.1Q standard defines the encapsulation protocol used to multiplex VLANs over a single link, by adding VLAN tags. However, it is possible to send frames either tagged or untagged, so to help explain which frames will be sent with or without tags, some vendors (most notably Cisco) use the concepts of a) trunk ports and b) the native VLAN for that trunk.

Is there another way to configure this sw? like telnet or ssh to it or CLI ? or is there a better firmware for it like for the Linksys WRT54GL (dd-wrt firmware).

Thanks to David S Hornstein, I've managed with his support to configure the VLANs and make two VLANs to multiplex (trunk port) through two gigabit uplink ports. Here's the configuration i made.

I want to make 2 VLANs, Administration and Workgroup, and use a Pfsense server as gateway. Computers from one VLAN cannot comunicate with computers from the other VLAN, but they must have acces to the internet through the Pfsense server.

Acces the Cisco SLM224G at http://192.168.1.254/

go to VLAN Managenet.

step 1:    Create VLAN: VLAN 10 and VLAN 20

step 2:    Port Setting: port e1, e2, e3, e4, e5, e6   set Acceptable Frame type to "All" , PVID = "10", and Ingress Filtering on. the rest of the ports                                          default to PVID "1" .

step 3:    Port to VLAN:  on VLAN 10  - Eth 1,2,3,4,5,6 => "UnTagged"  , Gigabit g1, g2 => "Tagged".     

on VLAN 20  - Eth 7,8,9,10,11,12 => "UnTagged"  , Gigabit g1, g2 => "Tagged".and the rest of the ports are "excluded".

step 4:  VLAN to port:  all the "e" ports should apear to their own VLANs and the g1 and g2 ports belong to 1U, 10T, 20T.   

The Pfsense server is connected to port g1 (on the switch) through the LAN1 NIC with the ip address of 192.168.1.1/24, configured the same VLAN  IDs, 10 and 20. The VLAN10 interface has the ip 192.168.10.1/24, DHCP service active with the pool of 10.100 to 10.110. The VLAN20 interface has the ip 192.168.20.1/24  DHCP service active with the pool of 20.100 to 20.110.

And everything works just fine, if i plug a computer into ports that are in VLAN10 asigned it will obtain an IP of 192.168.10.XXX/24, and an IP of 192.168.20.XXX if it is plugged into ports from VLAN20.

Here's some screen shots, hope this is usefull to all of you out there!