Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover Tests on SG500 series Switches

Chris Golden
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We have a number of small business 500 series stackable switches.  I have a lot of experience with Catalyst but not so much with the SG500.  I decided to conduct a failover test on the one stack of 2 switches.  Here are my methods and results:

1.   Firstly I pulled the power on the slave number 2 switch, we lost no services and I could still ping with no packet loss.

2.   I connected the slave switch again, when it was initialising we I experienced 26 packet losses.

3.   Both switches are running again and I pulled the power on the master.  I had 42 packet losses on failure of the master.

4.   When I plugged the master in again on initialisation I received a 76 packet loss.

5.   Both switches running as normal.  I then created an access port and saved the config run-start.  I pulled the plug on the master.  We lost all services on that port and I noticed there was no config anymore, as if it had never been applied to the port.

Both stacks are on fibre uplinks and the stack interconnects are also fibre.

My question is:  Is this normal behaviour or have I missed something completely?

Any help is appreciated.  Many thanks

2 Replies 2

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Where were you pinging from? i.e. were you plugged into the switch directly?

What were you pinging? 

Thanks

I was pinging from another client on the same network.  The SMB 500 stack has an uplink to our main stack C3850 which of course handles our routing too.  I was not plugged in directly.