Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple 10G Links Between SG350XG-24F

ksbolton1
Level 1
Level 1

Good day all.

I've been tasked with creating multiple 10G connections between two SG350XG-24F switches at two different sites connected via single mode fiber. So far I've created a trunk link between the 2 in order to carry over some DIA links and that's worked fine. Eventually the higher ups want to be able to have multiple 10G links for different services between sites, thereby allowing different 10G paths based on each port on the switches.

I've been thinking that if I were to connect the switches together via multiple ports ( SwA Te1/0/1 to SwB Te1/0/1, SwA Te1/0/2 to SwB Te1/0/2, SwA Te1/0/3 to SwB Te1/0/3, etc), STP would shut down ports in order to break the loops. I've considered using the ports in layer 3 mode by issuing the "no switchport" command thus eliminating the STP issue.

Below is a drawing of how I imagined it. Does this make sense? Is it possible or best practice?

IMG-20180925-WA0007.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just in case anyone else wanted to ask this, I eventually used access links to connect the two switches and then created different MST regions containing each link thereby preventing STP from shutting one down. In each region, one link remained active and a single vlan was assigned to each region. This allowed 3 separate links to be up and complete isolation of the traffic going across those links.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In this case, why not consider creating a Port-channel, so you can bundle them in to big pipe,  if one of link fails still you have 2 links till serve. 

Switch A   -----Port-channel ---- Switch B

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for this reply. Higher ups would like physical isolation of the links and to use each 10G link for specific purposes. I hadn't considered the port channel but I do imagine that if I went that route, I'd just use a trunk link as I did with the current config. I want to know if there's any alternative to such an approach, namely the routed ports choice. Id take any other alternative as well.

Just in case anyone else wanted to ask this, I eventually used access links to connect the two switches and then created different MST regions containing each link thereby preventing STP from shutting one down. In each region, one link remained active and a single vlan was assigned to each region. This allowed 3 separate links to be up and complete isolation of the traffic going across those links.