cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Oversized Switch

jasonreg416
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am replacing several components to my SOHO network and I have a switch question related to the size of the switches.  I have Gb download speed from my ISP and I am trying to prevent a bottleneck or speed degradation to the max extent possible.  I have bridged the modem from the ISP and will be using an RV340 as the gateway.  I need approx 30 ports but could get away with a 26 port switch.  I use 3 x WAP 371 as APs.  My questions are:

1. Should I plan a full 26 port switch or a (almost) 50% empty 48/50 ort switch (thinking SG250 line here).  
  2. What is the benefit of using the SG250X-xx vs SG250-xx lines.  
  3. I currently use PoE+ Injectors for the WAP371s and my work Mitel desk phone.  Any benefit to buying a PoE+ Switch vs non-PoE+?  I do not really need PoE other than for the three WAPs (currently) and phone.

I appreciate any thoughts and words of wisdom.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Louis, thank you for your reply. 

1. WRT question 1 - aside from the scalability/excess capacity - are there any advantages in a larger switch?  When I review the comparison the SG250-26 has a smaller switching capacity than the SG250-50 and the SG250X-48 has an even larger capacity.  Now I understand why the switching capacity is higher (more ports, more capacity required) but can one make use of the excess switching capacity if you are not using all the ports?
  2. Got it - thanks
  3. Any downside to a PoE switch?  Would the non-PoE version last longer or have less reliability issues?

thanks again for the assist.

Jason

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @jasonreg416 ,

1. You should always think of a scalable network, so I suggest a device with more ports than you are going to occupy.

2. The "x" indicates that the device is stackable.

3. Obviously a PoE device frees you from having to occupy the power injectors and allows you to add future PoE devices.

I leave this link to compare models:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/250-series-smart-switches/models-comparison.html

Regards

Louis, thank you for your reply. 

1. WRT question 1 - aside from the scalability/excess capacity - are there any advantages in a larger switch?  When I review the comparison the SG250-26 has a smaller switching capacity than the SG250-50 and the SG250X-48 has an even larger capacity.  Now I understand why the switching capacity is higher (more ports, more capacity required) but can one make use of the excess switching capacity if you are not using all the ports?
  2. Got it - thanks
  3. Any downside to a PoE switch?  Would the non-PoE version last longer or have less reliability issues?

thanks again for the assist.

Jason

Hi @jasonreg416 ,

1- Many times excess capacity is related to power, but, this is focused by port.
If you are deciding on a specific device, I recommend you check the datasheet of this device to see the power capacity per port.

3- Cisco devices go through many performance tests, so you can be confident that their performance will be optimal in most cases.
Also, if you find a problem, they have a warranty, return of equipment/(RMA) and support.

Regards

Thanks Louis, very helpful.  The new SG250X-48 should arrive today and I elected to use three PoE+ Injectors ((SB-PWR-INJ2) vice getting the PoE+ switch.  

Hi @jasonreg416 ,

Excellent.

If you have other questions, you should only post them in the community. Remember to mark the correct answers as a solved, since that helps other users with similar doubts.

Regards

leecoxhouse1
Level 1
Level 1

I have to save 1 large switch with 1 backplane is the best solution. The only problem I saw with buying a large POE+ switch is the fans are noisy.  I have 3 WAP371 wireless units.  I ended up buying a Cisco SG300-10MPP switch to power my 3 WAP371 wireless units because it has no fans.  The SG300-10MPP has reached EOL so 1 of the newer switches would be better to buy now.  So I use a SG300-28 with no fans and a SG300-10MPP with no fans.  My closet stays quiet now that I turned off my server rack.  I am retired now and no longer need my server rack.