Views
Helpful
Replies

PASSWORD RECOVERY SF300-24

enso_zh75
Level 1
Level 1

Hello friends.

This is my first time here so please give me the hope I need .

I am the new sysadmin on my work but unfortunately the last sysadmin didn't make any documentation about the actual infraestructure so i have a big problem.

Now I have two switches SF300 - 24 which are password protected and I need to configure them.

I have already tried with a serial cable connected to the switch in order to start the password recovery process but the only message I've got is "Current Password will be ignored" but no other guide or step to recover the password without loosing the configuration of the switch. So the switch starts to boot and thats all.

Can anybody help me with this issue.?

Thanks a lot.

8 Replies 8

Dennis Wieringa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

the only thing i could find regarding your switch is that there is a small red button on de front lower left side if your switch.

hold it for 10 sec - Reboots switch

hold it for 30 sec - Restores to factory default

Also, this is the only docs Cisco has about this series

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/300_series_switches/index.html-tab-Models

EDIT:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/78-19308-01.pdf

on page 392 are the steps for password recovery options.

hope this helps

Message was edited by: Dennis Wieringa

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks for your help friend but If I use the reset button I will loose all the configuration and I dont have any idea of it's configuration.

Maybe any other idea?

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Was it a default password that you had with this switch?

Is it the firmware or the hardware password?

---

Posted by WebUser Fahad Ahmed from Cisco Support Community App

No friend, the default password has been changed and I ignore it.

So i need to make a password recovery process to administrate the swith withou loosing its configuration.

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

As far as I can understand, you have to reinstall the switch IOS(Catos) ,then you will be able to log in with a default user name and password .And then you can choose the password you like. It wil not effect your configuration as they are saved in RAM.

---

Posted by WebUser Fahad Ahmed from Cisco Support Community App

Thanks friend, unfortunately I have no idea of how to reinstall the IOS (catos)  if its reinstallation will allow me to administrate the switch without loosing any configuration so the solution is fine, But is it easy to install the IOS?

OK finally after the Switch started and I have chosen the option 3 "Password recovery" i've got a command line (or well know as command promopt) so I imagine there should be a command to start a password recovery process or maybe a password reset without loosing the configuration.

Does anybody have any idea?

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "small business switch". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X