cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG250 - Latest Firmware 2.5.7.85 will not load after upgrade and reboot.

Gordieee
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to install and test the latest firmware for my SG250 set of switches. The first switch I've tried is a SG250-10. It allows me to load the new FW file (image_tesla_hybrid_2.5.7.85_release_cisco_signed.bin) and on the swap image page it shows version 2.5.7.85 will be loaded after reboot. However after reboot, I am still on my current firmware version, 2.5.5.47. No errors or warnings are presented during the upgrade process and the switch seems to run fine the older version of the firmware without any changes. 

I also tired an USB upload of the firmware but get a checksum error just before the file finishes loading from the usb stick. I've checked the MD5 checksum and it matches the Cisco website.

As far as the switch logs go, I see a  %COPY-W-TRAP: The copy operation has failed for the USB attempts, but no entries at all for the http transfers, other then the normal %INIT-I-Startup: Warm Startup on reboot.

Anyone else having the same issue? I'm wondering if there is a file issue on the cisco site again? I will wait before attempting to upgrade any of my production sites and larger switches.

27 Replies 27

Hello Gordieee,

Thanks for sharing this good news, I did now I read your reply some extra
test to compare if the former images were also identical

I saved both the images on my nas and checked them now see below:

[root@virt1 mnt]# ls -altr

total 81408

-rw-rw-rw-. 1 500 users 41669198 May 31 2020
image_tesla_hybrid_2.5.5.47_release_cisco_signed.bin

-rw-rw-rw-. 1 500 users 41669198 May 31 2020 image_tesla_250_2.5.5.47.bin

The sizes are identical but now checked the md5hash of both of them see
below:

# md5sum *

ff7132e875fd9ac0699a4b7bf04087c4 image_tesla_250_2.5.5.47.bin

ff7132e875fd9ac0699a4b7bf04087c4
image_tesla_hybrid_2.5.5.47_release_cisco_signed.bin

So yes indeed images for the SG250 and the SG350 are identical!

I also logged a case, and also wait for them to response, but I am pretty
sure that they put not the right image on the download side.

Greetings Christian.

Hello All,

I discover today that Cisco put now the right image on the link.

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286288151/type/282463182/

I verified the image with the sha512 checksum and indeed image is exact the same as the image of the SG350.

I will test the upgrade tomorrow.

Greetings Christian.

nicolslambert
Level 1
Level 1

Any news/update from cisco about this issue ?

Hello all,

No news yet.

Reported this issue last Saturday, as soon if I receive news about this
issue I will update this in this forum.

kgardas
Level 1
Level 1

Through the support channel Cisco engineer asked me for contact details to replace my faulty switch. As I'm not used to procedure, I've asked for more details especially since I do have 2 of those running here -- and I need them. I guess such returned switch may be used for post-mortem err return analysis.

Hello All,

Today i received an answer on my case I logged for this problem see below the answer from Cisco

Answer
I just tested and you should be able to use the larger SG350 image and install on 250.
Normally this is always the same image and the issue is indeed on cisco.com link I will escalate to the relevant team.

So indeed it seems to be save to use the image that is available under the link
https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286288281/type/282463181/release/2.5.7.85
05-Mar-2021
39.66 MB

I personally prefer to wait until the correct software is available under the original link:
https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286288151/type/282463182/

Greetings Christian.

Thank you Christian for the update. Go to know that this just looks a cisco.com file issue and not some other deeper issue. I agree on waiting until the official update to the SG250 downloads page. It also helps that I'm not in a position to work on these particular switches again until early next month. If you let us know when that happens I will mark your post at the accepted solution. 

Thank you.

Thank you Christian!

PetrZ
Level 1
Level 1

New 2.5.7.85 firmware file for SG250 (39.66 MB) is ready for download. I succesfully applied, everything seems to be OK.

Ok that is good news, I tested now also with the new loaded image and indeed no problems found, works perfect now.

Be aware the upload can take a while, and also the reload.

Greetings Christian.

Thank you Christian and PetrZ. Good to know we are now good. 

akanarya
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar problem with ver .85 too on 350X series.

I Infact it loaded the firmware (was ver .47) but switch couldnt be accessed anymore.

I figured out using console connection, config was still on the switch but trunk port, through which  i was trying to gain access, became static. I fixed via console, connected to gui to check, then saved. After restart my change was gone again. 

I tried to assign mgmt vlan to another port which is static access, to observe that i can access after next reboot.

Unfortunatelly it didnt work either.

So downgraded to .47.

It looks like a problem with ver .85 on 350X at least.

Any thoughts?

I did not experience this issue on a 350X.