cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500-28P slow switch uplink connectivity

Boudewijn Plomp
Level 1
Level 1

At our office we have a weird performance problem with the following switches and connectivity:

Internet
     |

SG300-24 (L3) core switch     (in our server room)

|
SG300-10P (L2) access swtich     (in our meeting room)
     |

SG500-28P (L3) switch     (in our meeting room)

We are building a new computer infrastructure that is connected to the the SG500-28P. As you can see above the SG500-28P in our meeting room has an uplink to the SG300-10P in the same meeting room. And again the SG300-10P has and uplink to the SG300-24 in our server room. From the server room, there is connectivity to internet. The network uses a multiple VLAN's and routeing between them. Bootom line is, the internet VLAN ID 10 is tagged to trunk ports and available on the SG500-28P. So client get connected straight into the internet based VLAN.

The performance on the SG500-28P switch itself from VLAN to VLAN is very fast. But... the uplink connection tot the internet and other VLAN's on the core switch are very and very slow! At least 10 times slower than normal. So if I plug a laptop in the SG500-28P and go from uplink to uplink, it is slow! But... when I connect the same laptop to the SG300-10P the connection with only one uplink it is fast. As if three switches is to much. I can't figure out why.

Any suggestions?

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Boudewijn, on both layer 3 switches can you use the command and paste each respective one here?

show log

show log file

Also, there is a particular reason the SG500 is in layer 3?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi,

Tommorow I am at the office and I will copy the log files.

The SG500-28P is going to be used for a (temporary) core switch at a datacenter. It is for a new envormoment on temporary hardware. It requires L3. But I want to make sure everthing is ok once I ship it to the datacenter. From there we get internet connection which is basically also connected to a switch.