cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2010P/SGE2010 — Throttling bandwidth...

kristinmaling
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have a stack (combination of SGE2010P and SGE2010 switches) and I have a group of ports I need to limit bandwidth on. I've tried looking at the online help for the Edit Bandwidth option, but I'm having a hard time correlating the numbers in the manual to the numbers I actually use. So, wondering if anyone knows what the values are for the following options:

- Egress Shaping > Committed Information Rate

- Ingress Rate Limit

The manual states:

Egress Shaping Rate Status

Committed Information Rate (CIR) — Defines CIR as the queue shaping type. The possible field values are:
For FE ports, the rate is 64 - 62,500 Kbps.
For GE ports, the rate is 64 - 1,000,000 Kbps.

Committed Burst Size (CbS) —  Defines CbS as the queue shaping type. CbS is supported only on GE  interfaces. The possible field value is 4096 - 16,769,020 bytes.

For FE ports, the rate is 62 - 100,000 Kbps.
For GE ports, the rate is 62 - 1,000,000 Kbps.

So, I enter the following and get the following results:

For CIR (egress), if I enter the value of 1000, I limit the dl bandwidth to 1Mbps. If I enter the value of 2000, I limit the dl bandwidth to 2 and so on. So, I'm making the assumption that for CIR, it's accepting the value of 1000 being Kbps. Seems to make sense. If I disable, I get my full 10Mbps as I should.

So, I then assume the same would work for the ingress rate limit — if I enter 1000, I'd limit the upload bandwidth to 1Mbps, and so on. But, that's not the case. If I enter 1000, I get an error from the GUI stating the following:

"Entered value in highlighted field must be an Integer. Range 3500...1000000."

So, I enter the value 3500 and my upload bandwidth is limited to (after a long delay), roughly 0.3Mbps, at a value of 5000 I limit the ul bandwidth to .5Mbps, at a value of 7000 I limit the bandwidth to 1Mbps and at a value of 10000 it limits at 4Mbps. If I disable, I get my full 10Mbps up, like I should.

So, egress, the numbers seem to make some sense, but ingress, I don't get the numbers — what do these values relate to? Why don't ingress and egress values work the same?

If anyone could explain this to me, it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kristin.

0 Replies 0