Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2010P

jellegard
Level 1
Level 1

hello all-

i recently purchased an SGE2010P 48 port switch for my home.  i bought it because i figured as my network expands, and if i want to add VoIP, i won't have to toss a switch and rebuy.  that being said i didn't realize it would this complicated.  but maybe it isn't i am just trying to make it so.  here is what i have:

•  7 Public IPs

•  xServe

•  Barracuda Spam Filter (running my own email on xServe)

•  8 computers, 2 iPads, 2 PS3s, 2 XBOXs, 3 Printers, 3 Airport Extremes

I am currently using one public IP and using DHCP to assign all the devices in my home there IP with NAT.  what do i need to do to set this switch up?  i have looked everywhere and there isn't a concise clear explanation of what i need to do to make sure this thing is working correctly.  Specifically:

•  do i give the switch a public IP, have it get one using DHCP, or leave the default IP?

•  do i need to setup a VLAN?  if so why?  how?

•  are there any special settings that need to be made to have it work with the public and NAT addreses?

i may be overthinking this but i just don't want any issues when i slap this thing in to replace the unmanaged switch i am currently using, like not receiving or being able to get my email.  all help is appreciated....

john.

5 Replies 5

Gerald Vogt
Level 3
Level 3

I don't really see the purpose of a managed switch for your network. It won't make a difference for you.

1. Whether or not your can use multiple public IP addresses depends on your router, not the switch. If your router does not support multiple public IP addresses you can't use them.

2. You don't seem to need VLANs. And you could only use it if your router supports VLANs as well.

3. I don't see that a standard unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch could not provide you with all the LAN speed you need.

4. It may be useful if you add VoIP. But in this respect I would say it would only be necessary if VoIP is very important (e.g. you cut your phone land line and only use VoIP for your phone and you use it a lot). In that moment heavy load from your xboxes or some larger download may affect the quality of VoIP.

I would recommend to get an unmanaged switch for the moment. If you later see you have trouble with VoIP you could always replace it. But at this time, it seems as if a managed switch would be a total overkill and maybe never necessary.

An option may be the Cisco 100 Series unmanaged switches which have some QoS capabilities built-in. Of course, I can't tell if the QoS supported will help you with a potential VoIP problem in the future...

i appreciate the response.  the price between a 48 port, rack mountable, unmanaged, gigabit switch and the SGE2010P is a few hundred dollars.  i already have the SGE2010P and prefer to just keep it.  i have a router that can handle the multiple public IPs from the ISP.  i understand the switch is over kill (so is having two xServes) but it may or may not be in a year or so.  if that would be the case i'd spend 1k for a 48 port gig unmanaged/semi-managed switch and then another whatever if/when needed vs. the $1,500 i spent on this one.  so like i said, i would prefer to just keep it and try and learn a thing or two about this whole networking thing.

i kind of thought the purpose of these boards were to provide answers to help people make things work.  if that is indeed the case then i would appreciate any and all answers/help with setting this switch up and making it work to it's fullest effciency/capability given the environment it will currently be utilized.  i don't believe i mentioned that i have a Linn Klimax DS and have a several thousand CD collection that i am streaming from an NAS (CDs were encoded with the FLAC codec) to it.  i don't want to limit the bandwith when listening to music from the Klimax DS.

for those of you that want to provide useful, helpful information to help me LEARN i would appreciate it because i find this stuff fascinating and fun to play with and unfortunately i don't have time working 6 days a week to go back to school to start at Networking 101.  all help is greatly appreciated....

thx in advance,

john.

O.K.

1. To use the SGE like an unmanaged switch all you have to do is to connect it to your router. That's it. With no additional configuration it works like an unmanaged switch would do.

2. Of course, it is a good idea to assign the SGE a static IP address inside your LAN IP subnet to have the web interface of the SGE easily accessible.

For the initial setup that's enough.

QoS is complex to set up and at this time does not seem necessary at all. You stream inside your LAN through the SGE. That won't affect other computer's LAN or internet connection. If you want to play with QoS you would have to decide where potential bottlenecks in your network could be and how to prioritize traffic in regard of those bottlenecks. For instance, if you have multiple computers streaming from your NAS you may see a bottleneck if you hit the limits of the NAS (which probably won't be able to provide data at full gigabit speed). In that case, you could decide to prioritize some computers. I don't know the QoS capabilities of the SGE and if you want to play around with this function you should provide some more information on what you need/want to set up and probably someone else can help you with that.

Use of VLANs depends on your router. If your router supports VLANs you can set up multiple VLANs, e.g. one home network and one guest network. You could place one access point into the guest network (unless the access point supports VLANs. I am not sure about the Airport Extreme...) for wireless guest access. If you have kids you could put your kid's computers into a separate VLAN in case your kid's computers get infected with malware which tries to spread through the LAN. To properly use VLANs your router must support them, too. If you want to play with that it would be good to know which router you use and its VLAN capabilities.

If you have some other things in mind which you wanted to do with your network. Let us know and we can see if and how to set this up with the SGE.

thank you for the answer.  that's what i was looking for.  i do have 3 kids and the implementation of VLANs in the way you suggested is a GREAT idea. something i would have never thought about until you suggested it.   i also like the guest VLAN idea as i do often have friends from college come visit as i live in a place and have a home that is great to visit. 

if i wanted to add CISCO VoIP phones in my home what additional equipment would i need besides the phones obviously?  i assume this switch will work but what router would be needed?  would i need additional hardware?  are there monthly costs involved or are there just one time expenses?  i have seen/used the Cisco 7900 phones (i think?), or whatever their top of the line phones are and they are amazing devices.  what would be required to do this?  my entire house has been wired with Cat6 cabling.

thx a TON!

john.

jellegard
Level 1
Level 1

great info. found exactly the info i was looking for!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X