cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking a new switch onto another stackable switch issue.

michael.porter
Level 1
Level 1

I have just got in a new switch, that replace a broke one and I am having some issues.  I at one point had 2 stackable switches.  The ID 1 (Master) switch reset button was broke and I had to get a new one (same model).  I setup my ID 2 switch to be the master with the same startup configuration, until I got the replacement switch in.  I thought with the startup configuration and same wiring I could just add the switch, install the startup config once again and Id be set.  I have tried to do this but after everything is flashed and rebooted, ID 2 Switch freaks out, all the lights on all the ports go on and the system light go amber and continually blinks.  At this point ID 1 restarts.  

Is there something I am missing?  I did a little research online but cant find any information.   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Let's say you have two switches in a stack:  ID 1 and ID 2.  ID 1 is the "master" and ID 2 is the slave.  

Now let's say that ID 1 has a fault and needs to be replaced.  Cisco shipped you a new switch, let's call it ID 3. 

The most important thing to do after removing ID 3 from the shipping box is to verify if the ID 3 has the same software version as the stack.  If not, ID 3 firmware must be upgraded/downgraded.  Period.  

ID 3 must also have ZERO configuration.  Nothing at all.  

Before connecting ID 3 with the stacking cable, ID 3 must be powered OFF.  If ID 3 is powered on and a single stacking cable is connected, the entire stack will reboot.  This is as designed and not a bug.  

Now which bit above was done?

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This behaviour was, most likely, caused when the replacement switch was added to the stack it was powered. 

When adding a new switch to the stack, the new switch must always be POWERED OFF.  If it was powered on the entire stack will reboot.

I appreciate the response.

So here is what I did.  I took the configuration file from the old switch (ID1).  I then logged into the new switch and added the configuration.  I want the second switch (ID2) to stay the same, but when I power on the new switch, the system lights blink for a little bit then all the lights on all the ports, all the ID lights, everything lights up and the system light is orange and stays that way.  

Any clue on why it does this? 

I want the second switch (ID2) to stay the same, but when I power on the new switch

Did the new switch joined the stack with the ID2?

I appreciate your response.

When I turn on the replacerment switch (new switch) it comes up with a ID of 1.  At that point the switch which I am currently using as ID1 resets and all the lights come on.  

At this point I would like to factory reset both switches and just add the configuration.  What would I need to do to get these switches set up?

Let's say you have two switches in a stack:  ID 1 and ID 2.  ID 1 is the "master" and ID 2 is the slave.  

Now let's say that ID 1 has a fault and needs to be replaced.  Cisco shipped you a new switch, let's call it ID 3. 

The most important thing to do after removing ID 3 from the shipping box is to verify if the ID 3 has the same software version as the stack.  If not, ID 3 firmware must be upgraded/downgraded.  Period.  

ID 3 must also have ZERO configuration.  Nothing at all.  

Before connecting ID 3 with the stacking cable, ID 3 must be powered OFF.  If ID 3 is powered on and a single stacking cable is connected, the entire stack will reboot.  This is as designed and not a bug.  

Now which bit above was done?

Leo, 

Thank you for your reply.  

I did not check the firmware on the new stack.  I will look at this and upgrade or downgrade the stack.  

Zero Config, doe you mean a factory reset?  If so I will make sure that is done.  

I am coming into work this Saturday and will report back what I find.  

Zero Config, doe you mean a factory reset?  If so I will make sure that is done. 

Correct.

Leo, 

Thank you for all your help.  Once the firmware was downgraded on the new switch, everything fell into place.  Thanks again for all your help.  

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for providing us with the result and taking the time to rate our posts.