Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Issue on SG200 SMB Switch

VCsupport17
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Community,

We have a small network and our setup is very simple.

We are on flat network on VLAN 1 (192.168.1.0/24). Our DHCP server is router. Users on VLAN 1 can access the internet with no issues. I'm trying to add another VLAN for our LAB (VLAN 40 - 10.2.11.0/24) but i cannot make it work on the SG200 switch.

I have followed these guides on how to create VLAN on the switch as well as how to member the port on the VLAN.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=67844b99e2da4a7f88db0c588197487d_Creating_VLANs_on_Cisco_Managed_Switches.xml&pid=2&converted=0

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=07e54124d9be46b48d6f008a306da82d_Creating_Access_Ports_on_Cisco_Managed_Switches.xml&pid=2&converted=0

1. Created VLAN 40.

2. Assign GE24 to VLAN 40 as Tagged.

3. Set GE24 as Trunk port.

My problem is on PC connected SG200 on port GE24, i can connect to internet but my IP address still on VLAN 1 which is 192.168.1.X. It should be on VLAN 40. If I change the port to Access port or General, i cannot obtain IP address.

I have also attached router's config.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

There is a few more steps needed to make this work...

First off, the SG200 is a layer 2 only switch.

This means it can support multiple VLAN's but cannot route traffic between them.

In your example, you have created your Layer 2 Vlan (VLAN 40) which is great but I think you have made a mistake with the configuration of the Port connected to the PC. Now it can work as a Trunk port but you are best to change it to an 'Access' port as this is best practice for single hosts.

A normal host (i.e. a PC/Laptop/Printer) should be 'Untagged' in the VLAN you want it to be a member of. So in your case, Port 24 should be an Access Port which is Untagged in Vlan 40. An access port can only be a member of a single untagged vlan anyway so this should be fairly easy.

The next thing you need to do is configure the port FACING the router to be a Trunk and ensure Vlan 40 is tagged on this.
So on your switch, ensure the port connected to the router is a Trunk, leave VLAN 1 as the untagged vlan and make sure Vlan 40 is 'Tagged'

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Just to confirm, you have a router at the edge of the network?

If yes then you will need to create a sub interface on port FastEthernet0 for VLAN 40. 

Cheers,

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

There is a few more steps needed to make this work...

First off, the SG200 is a layer 2 only switch.

This means it can support multiple VLAN's but cannot route traffic between them.

In your example, you have created your Layer 2 Vlan (VLAN 40) which is great but I think you have made a mistake with the configuration of the Port connected to the PC. Now it can work as a Trunk port but you are best to change it to an 'Access' port as this is best practice for single hosts.

A normal host (i.e. a PC/Laptop/Printer) should be 'Untagged' in the VLAN you want it to be a member of. So in your case, Port 24 should be an Access Port which is Untagged in Vlan 40. An access port can only be a member of a single untagged vlan anyway so this should be fairly easy.

The next thing you need to do is configure the port FACING the router to be a Trunk and ensure Vlan 40 is tagged on this.
So on your switch, ensure the port connected to the router is a Trunk, leave VLAN 1 as the untagged vlan and make sure Vlan 40 is 'Tagged'

Thanks

Hi,

I made it work now by following the required settings you provided and thank you for big help. I can now get correct IP address (10.2.11.X) on the PC plugged in on switch SG200 port 24 and have internet connection as well.

Appreciate for your help.

Hello,

I have another question. I connected an IP phone to the switch port GE16 configured as trunk. I have VLAN 100 for voice and i want to connect a PC on the IP phone computer port so i can get also IP on under VLAN 40.

What should be the settings on port GE16? 

Thanks.