Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Deployment Question

jwillis4094
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been tasked with setting up a small wireless deployment for a single client site. What I have been looking at for choice of equipment is the Cisco SF302-08MPP Layer 3 switch, a Cisco 2504 Wireless LAN controller, and the Cisco 1600 Lightweight Access Points for this deployment.

I have done a similar deployment before but I utilized the 3560 in the past and my main concern is the switch. I have never used this switch before in any deployment and have my concerns about its capabilities with wireless.

Has anyone out there used these devices together for this type of deployment or do any of you see any potential compatibility problems with the selected devices. Please understand that I am under the constraints of a tight budget for this design.

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

4 Replies 4

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I want to start this reply by saying that I have no knowledge about the Cisco 2504 or the 1600 Access Point, but I do work with the SF300 series switches.

I did check the data sheet for the 1600 AP's and according to it they are compatible, the main feature is the PoE+ which is supported on the switch.

Also, I noticed these AP's have Gigabit ports and the switch you mentioned is a 10/100 with just 2 Gigabit ports, I don't know if that was important or not.

Besides that they should work just fine together, you may need a little bit of our assistance to get them to talk, just because they need to be configured a little different from the enterprise devices but they should definitely be able to work together.

I hope this was helpful.

Thank you so much for the swift reply! This alleviates a lot of my worry and concern. Once my devices are in I begin the implementation I will definitely reach back out.

Thank you again

Jeremy

Not a problem, please let us know once you receive the units.

Keep in mind, if you have any issues or have any questions, you can always contact the Small Business Support center at 866-606-1866.

Andrew Lien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeremy,

My name is Andrew and I am a content developer for the Cisco knowledge base. Fortunately, there is a plethora of knowledge base documents and articles for you to reference to when using the SF300 series switch for deployment. Notably,

Enabling Multiple Wireless Networks on RV320 VPN Router, WAP321 Wireless-N Access Point, and Sx300 Series Switches

For an example on deploying the Sx300 with other Cisco small business devices. 

If you have any questions on the SF302, you can search the knowledge base documentation here:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?pid=2&login=1&donelr=1

and selecting Switches in the Product dropdown menu, and SF300-08 as the Model. You can then use the text field on the right to search for any specific questions.

-Andrew Lien, Content Developer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X