Views
Helpful
Replies

10 GB fiber modules for 3750G and 3750X

Jason Flory
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project to connect 2 switch stacks via 10 Gb fiber.  I am told that the 3750Xs do not natively receive the 10 GB SFPs.  What part numbers do i need to order to make this work?  Is there any IOS image requirements?

Thanks in advanced

14 Replies 14

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason,

That is correct.  When you order a 3750X, it does not come with any network modules.  If you are planning to connect them using 10Gig ports, you need to order this part number in addition to your switch

C3KX-NM-10G

You also need to order the correct optics. If your distance is short you need Multimode SFP+ if your distance is not short you need Single mode SFP+ optics.  How far these stack switches are from each other?

Part number for Multimode SFP+

SFP-10G-SR

Part number for Single mode SFP+

SFP-10G-LR

Have a look at table-3 in this link for module info for 3750X

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

table-2 in this link for optic info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

HTH

Thanks for the reply

This is between the 4th floor and 12th floor.  About 800 feet.

What i meant by having to order and additional part is that I am being told that the 3750X switches do not natively support 10 GB SFPs and that you need to order an additional part in addition to the 10 GB module.

Someone else just posted that the 3750Gs do not support 10 GB modules.  Do you agree with that statement?

This is between the 4th floor and 12th floor.  About 800 feet.

800ft is about 200 meters.  So depending on you fiber you can use MM or SM.

If you only have single mode between 12th and 4th floor then you need LR optics

See table-1 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3750G will NOT support 10 Gbps. 

10 Gbps is supported on the "E" or "X" models. 

Thanks Leo for pointing this out.  I thought both stacks were 3750X.

Jason,

You can only connect these stacks using 1Gig.  Form the data sheet I provided above, order the Gig module with 3750X and Gig SFP.

Ignore the 10Gig section.

My apology.

HTH

This helpful however i still want to order the 10 GB modules but will have to order a new switch as well.  See my last question

Thanks

I answer last question first:

Someone else just posted that the 3750Gs do not support 10 GB modules.  Do you agree with that statement?

That is correct.  The G series do not support 10Gig interfaces, only 1Gig.

What i meant by having to order and additional part is that I am being  told that the 3750X switches do not natively support 10 GB SFPs and that  you need to order an additional part in addition to the 10 GB module.

As I said before if you want to go with 10Gig, then in addition to the switch you need to order the Module and also the optics for the module.

so

switch

10Gig module

SFP+

HTH

No problem, Reza.  Glad to be of some assistance. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Actually there was a 3750G model that supported 10g, the 3750G-16TD with its single 10g port which was internally oversubscribed by 25%.

This model wasn't on the market very long.

Ok,

So we are ordering another 3750X to use in that office.  This all happening during a move so I just want to make sure i do not get the wrong parts.

Here is the setup:

Multimode fiber between 4 and 12th floor.  Terminates in SC connectors

So in addition to switches  I need SC to LC patch cords and 2 x CISCO CATALYST 3K-X 10G NW MOD PID, and

Cisco expansion module - 2 ports

Mfg. Part#: C3KX-NM-10G=

Cisco SFP+ transceiver module

Mfg. Part#: SFP-10G-SR=

Let me know if this is the right parts numbers.  Really appreciate your help

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

10g-SR can be rather distance limited.  What's the distance and what kind of MM fiber?

About 800ft.  It is between the 4th and 12 floors.  MM fiber.

Do you know if there are any IOS requirements for this?  Licensing or type of image?

Thanks

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

About 800ft.  It is between the 4th and 12 floors.  MM fiber.

Again, the kind of MM fiber is important for 10g distance.  One of Reza's posts has different distances for different MM fiber types.  For 800ft, you want OM3 or OM4.

Do you know if there are any IOS requirements for this?  Licensing or type of image?

Licensing needs depend on features you'll be using.  Also, when you have a multi-member stack, you don't have to have the most advanced license for all stack members.

Jason,

If you can, stop buying 3750X.  Consider looking into 3850 instead.

Same price as the 3750X but meaner.

I know about your existing stack, however, if you ever need to build a new stack, consider the 3850.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: