cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10 GE

bobsimon
Level 1
Level 1
My customer has a 3750-E.  I believe I can plug a CVR-X2-SFP10G converter into the X2 slot and then use a SFP-H10GB-CU2M cable to connect to an SFP+ 10GE NIC in the server.  I would appreciate it if someone would confirm that this will very likely work or if there are any potential issues (other than the following) to consider.

Do we need to select a 10 GE NIC where the mfg states support for direct attach copper (DAC) or does SFP+ automatically support DAC?

What throughput can one realistically expect in this scenario?  Will this be reduced if a 10 GE NIC designed for PCI-e 3.0 is plugged into a PCI-e 2.0 x4 slot?

If the server vCPUs operate at less than 50%, will TOE (or any other offload technologies) be of any advantage?

Thanks!
Bob Simon
New Orleans
2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have never used the DAC cable with the 3750-E series but according to the data sheet as long as the switch is running IOS version 12.2(55)SE1 or later the cable is supported (see links)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc455743811

Do we need to select a 10 GE NIC where the mfg states support for direct attach copper (DAC) or does SFP+ automatically support DAC?

If the switch supports it than it should automatically detect the cable and SFP+.

HTH

> If the switch supports it than it should automatically detect the cable and SFP+.

Re DAC, my concern is the NIC not the OneX Converter.  As you say, the docs confirm the converter will recognize the twinax cable.

Bob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card