Views
Helpful
Replies

1000-1500 mobile users

msee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have been working with a company that provides wireless infrastructure for large events (such as conventions).  The company has a pretty extensive wireless infrastructure (25 access points...wireless lan controller), but they have no WAN router.  They are looking to support between 1000 and 1500 users connecting over wifi.  They asked me to suggest a WAN access router that is capable of handling this sort of traffic.  They would be running DHCP on the router and primarily serving internet access.  I mentioned that the bigger considerations is their WAN link (provided by building facilities) as well as other considerations such as breaking apart broadcast domains.  My question is: in a perfect world (where the actual WAN link wasn't a consideration), what would be a good router model?  They aren't looking for any advanced features.  I'm only experienced with 800/1900/2900 ISRs.  As far as I know, these models are really only geared towards supporting  up to 100 users.  They are budget conscious and were originally looking at a 1900 series router.

Thank you for you help,

1 Reply 1

dalamdiz
Level 1
Level 1

If you can get a hold of a Cisco 3662 and load it with ram, I know for a fact that it will handle 1500 or more users. I do not know what Cisco designated as its replacement, but if price is a major factor, try and get a hold of a used one and check with a vendor to verify if you can get a smartnet for it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco