cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

100Mb v. GB ports

sunchaser256
Level 1
Level 1

We have 140 workstations connected to 2924's running through ONE 100Mb port on a central switch accessing 15 servers that reside on a GB switch. The port is at 90%. Wondering if we should trunk 100Mb ports or commit to buying a centralized GB switch. We have had issues trunking in the past. Any advice would be much appreciated.

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Seeing that you are already at 90%, the fact that you need to upgrade is quite obvious. You can go for a GigE option or might even want to consider EtherChannel so that you get nx100 Mbps bandwidth.

There really should be no problems with trunking if configured properly.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hello,

in addition to Paresh´s post, I am not sure if you can mix FastEthernet and GigabitEthernet interfaces in the same channel, I think the interfaces have to be of the same type. Which Gigabit switch (type) do you have exactly ?

Regards,

Nethelper

The central switch is a Cisco Catalyst 3750-48PS 48 Ethernet 10/100 ports with PoE and 4 SFP ports. One of the 48 ports (on the 3750) chains to one of the 100Mb ports on a 2950-48 which chains from the GBethernet uplink to a GBethernet port on a 2970 GB switch with the 15servers. GigabitEthernet is what we have. I believe the 4 SFP ports have the potential to upgrade to GB. They are currently 100Mb.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card