Views
Helpful
Replies

10G upgrade for 6509E

Wassim Aouadi
Level 4
Level 4

Hi networkers,

I have a couple of 6509-E combined in a VSS system. I need to upgrade them to support 8 (or 16 at max) 10G uplinks. I already used the two built-in

VS-S720-10G fiber connectors for VSL links.

Which Ethernet modules do you suggest to use? are there any related upgrades that I have to do?

Thanks

supervisor used: VS-S720-10G

Chassis: WS-C6509-E

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd stay away from x6704 because it won't support VSS.

I'd stay away from X6708 because if you may need to upgrade to Sup2T you won't be able to use this card.

X6716 is probably the way to go.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained  within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's  understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or  fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational  purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional  advice of any kind. Usage of  this posting's information is solely at  reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

If you need 8 ports, you might use the 6708.  Whether that's the best choice also depends on how much capacity you need per port (VS-S720-10G only supports 40Gbps per slot) and/or whether you want VSL support on the line card's ports.

The only major consideration might be to "match" any line card's DFC with your sup's capabilities, e.g. non-XL vs. XL.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd stay away from x6704 because it won't support VSS.

I'd stay away from X6708 because if you may need to upgrade to Sup2T you won't be able to use this card.

X6716 is probably the way to go.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card