Views
Helpful
Replies

10Gb and 40Gb interface in the same Port-Channel on a Nexus

maxwell.n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There

Are you able to add interfaces of varying speeds into a Port-Channel? Specifically adding a 10Gb and a 40Gb interface into the same Port-Channel on a Nexus 9200 series switch?

I know that technically all interfaces in a port-channel should be the same speed, however I'm migrating a port-channel from 10Gb interfaces to 40Gb interfaces, and I want to avoid or minimise any outages, so was wondering whether it would be possible to assign the port-channel configuration to the 40Gb interfaces prior to the change and then just shutdown the 10Gb interfaces and bring up the 40Gb interfaces when the change happens?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That will not work as the speed and duplex for all physical links in a Portchannel needs to be the same.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That will not work as the speed and duplex for all physical links in a Portchannel needs to be the same.

HTH

Thank you. I expected as much. I was just wondering whether the 40Gb interfaces would accept the port-channel config in a shutdown state, so that I could prepare the config beforehand, but better to be safe and not even attempt this.

Thanks again.

Glad to help.

You can always build a second Portchannel ahead of time and put all your 40Gig interfaces in it and test it. Then in a short maintenance window bring up the 40Gig Portchannel and shut down the 10Gig one.  This helps lower the amount of downtime for your environment.

HTH

Yes. This is a good idea. Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card