Views
Helpful
Replies

10gb cable for 3750x switch

clifford.r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community,

I have a Dell SAN that I need to connect to one of the 10g ports on my 3750x switch. I have seen sfp's from cisco at 900.00!! each, and I have seen cables with the sfps on the ends for around 150.00 from CDW. Do I have to use the one with the "cisco" label on it?

Thanks Again for your help,

RC

8 Replies 8

alexander76
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

don´t forget to use sfp+ on your 10GB-modul!

The Gbit modul only supports Gbit SFPs.

The 10Gbit modul supports 4 sfp´s or a maximum of 2 10Gbit sfp+´s.

If you use other than Cisco´s sfp+ (cisco is not necessarily needed) be sure to ask you service contractor if he still supports you in case of a damage caused by "low-price" sfp+.

The 10Gbit modul supports any vendor which produces sfp+.

Greetings from Germany,

Alexander

Thank You Alexander

Hi Ron,

Did you get the non-Cisco 10Gbps SFP+ cables to work on the 3750-X switches? I have tried 3 different HP cables, one of them a HP branded Cisco compatible cable (I read that this cable works on the Nexus). None of them seem to work on my 3750-X stack, I have also configured the 3750-X stack with the following commands which hasn't helped:

service unsupported-transceiver

no errdisable detect cause  gbic-invalid

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hamish

Hi Hamish,

I will be testing this weekend. What I have heard from Cisco R&D is non-Cisco cables will work...but, they are prone to drop packets from time to time. Was this your experience? Or did your cables just not work?

Best Regards,

Ron

Hi Ron,

I have now tested two HP branded cables and the 'HP 3m C-series Passive Copper SFP+ Cable' which is supposed to be the same as the Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M= cable. None of these cables have worked.

As suggested in a number of forums, I have configured the stack of 4 x WS-C3750X-24T switches with the 'service unsupported-transceiver' and 'no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid'. It appears that these commands don't actually do anything on the Cisco 3750-X switches as I still keep receiving this in my logs:

Feb 17 14:01:33: %PHY-4-SFP_PLUS_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP PLUS in Te1/1/1 is not supported
Feb 17 14:01:35: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/1, changed state to down

So it appears that there is no other option but to go Cisco branded SFP+ cables on the 3750-X's. I found this link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html which shows that only 'version 2' of the SFP-H10GB-CU3M= cable will work with these switches. I have ordered two of these and should get them next week.

Luckily the HP Blade enclosures Flex10 Virtual Connect modules are compatible with other vendors SFP+ transceivers with the latest firmware release. Otherwise I might have had to look at replacing either the HP Enclosure or Cisco switch stack in order to get 10Gbps uplinks!

I am curious to see if you have any luck with your non-Cisco cables.

Cheers,

Hamish

Hi Guys,

Did you manage to get this to work, I have 3750X which I want to connect to a HP Flex-10, if you did get it to work what did you actually end up using, currently only have the 1G module but before I get the 10G module on the cisco I would like to be sure it will work.

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I got it working in the end. I am using this Cisco cable:

SFP-H10GB-CU5M=    10GBASE-CU SFP+ cable, 5 meter (Version -02)

You need to make sure it's version 2 of the cable and not version 1.

Cheers,

Hamish

Hi Hamish,

Thanks for responding, the cable you mention seems to have a 2* SFP+ built into the twinax cable, presumably you had to add

C3KX-NM-10G on the Cisco 3750X did you have to buy any SFP for either end or does the cable include all you need.

Where/which ports are connected with the cable?

Thanks for your Help

Regards Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card