Views
Helpful
Replies

10Gb Port-channel from 1Gb ports

Steven503
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Hope someone could help with the below which is confusing me a little.

I have 2x6506 in VSS and 2x 9300 stacked and need a 10Gb port-channel between the two devices. This will need
to be made up from 1Gb ports as there are no free 10Gb ports on the 6506s.

Currently i have a 2 separate port-channels on each device with 5 ports from each switch. Does this mean i have 10Gb between
the 6506 and 9300 as its over 2 different port-channels and logically they are 1 switch?

I originally had one port-channel with 5 ports from one switch and 5 from another. But this will only have 8
active ports and put the other 2 into hot standby, so only getting 8Gb between switches.

Could anyone please advise.
Hope this makes some sense.

Thanks
Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if you looking 1GB x 10Qty to make it 10GB, yes that can be done, is this what you looking ?

but you can only get 8GB , since maximum only 8 per PO - rest will be standby mode.

if I have 2 Po with 5 port each does this combine to 10Gb  - NO it can not be 10GB, how you load split on end device matters here.

you can accomplish 10GB by load sharing the links

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi

The ports should have the same speed on each end. You can create Po with 10Gb-10Gb or 1Gb with other 1Gb port but not 10Gb-1Gb port, you could try changing the speed on 10Gb port to 1000bps.

Regards. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify this is 1Gb-1Gb.  There is no mix of port speeds.

My question is, if I have 2 Po with 5 port each does this combine to 10Gb link between the devices as they are logically 1 switch.

if you looking 1GB x 10Qty to make it 10GB, yes that can be done, is this what you looking ?

but you can only get 8GB , since maximum only 8 per PO - rest will be standby mode.

if I have 2 Po with 5 port each does this combine to 10Gb  - NO it can not be 10GB, how you load split on end device matters here.

you can accomplish 10GB by load sharing the links

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes, this is what I was looking for.

Thanks for the response

Hi

As it is was mentioned in other comment, it will not combine the Po to have 10Gb, now you could verify the datasheet of the each devices and check how many ports can be associated to the Po, usually it supports until 8 ports but you can verify the datasheet. 

Regards. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card