Views
Helpful
Replies

10GB SPF+ Cable in 1GB Slot

remdul001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I currently am attempting to connect two CISCO 2960-S (WS-C2960S-48TS-L) Switches together via one of the four SPF ports on either switch. I currently only have the cable:

Brocade 10G Active 3m FCoE
San Jose CA
58-1000027-01
Made in China
SN: CBX114490003423

This cable (per the 10G) I presume is designed to be a 10GB SPF cable. It fits into the slot, however no lights ignite with a feiry orange or green passion on the switch. Is there a compatability issue with the switches and cable? I was under the naive assumption SPF is similar to RJ-45 where you can use higher rated cables for slower slots. Thank you in advance for any clarification!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi that's a compatibility issue , Brocade 10GBs can only work as fixed 10GB they cannot downgrade automatically depending on connecting devices thats why your getting nothing at all not even a light , the switch would not be able to recognize a 10GB if it only supports 1GB

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html

These are your options

GLC-T (1000BASE-T)
GLC-SX-MM
GLC-LH-SM
GLC-ZX-SM
GLC-BX-D
GLC-BX-U
CWDM SFP
GLC-SX-MMD
GLC-LH-SMD

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi that's a compatibility issue , Brocade 10GBs can only work as fixed 10GB they cannot downgrade automatically depending on connecting devices thats why your getting nothing at all not even a light , the switch would not be able to recognize a 10GB if it only supports 1GB

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html

These are your options

GLC-T (1000BASE-T)
GLC-SX-MM
GLC-LH-SM
GLC-ZX-SM
GLC-BX-D
GLC-BX-U
CWDM SFP
GLC-SX-MMD
GLC-LH-SMD

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the answer! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card