Views
Helpful
Replies

10gbe switch

almarzuki20011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

if i have 10gbe switch with 24 port, and if i have machine with 10/100/1000mbit network card, can i plug the machine into 10gbe switch ? it will work ?

thanks and regards 

-Hadi Salem

5 Replies 5

bsiapco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, almarzuki20011.

Yes! you can plug it into the 10gbe and it will actually work. May I ask why are looking into this? Is this something that you're planning to implement. For further assistance kindly email me directly at (bsiapco@cisco.com).

Happy to Serve!

Barry

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You can?  I didn't think you could connect 10/100/1000 to 10g, unless the latter is a SPF+ port with a (copper) gig SPF.

I think what Almarzuki meant is he got a 10G switch and a machine with 10/100/1000M supported network card. If the switch also support 10/100/1000M, connection would auto to 1Gb/s ( Do use at least Cat 6 cable). It will choose the best speed allowed, I think.

Hi,

the switch doesn't support 1gb/s its only 10gb/s

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Joe also noted, it does not work.  You can not plug in 10/100/1000 network card to a 10gig port.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card