Views
Helpful
Replies

10Ge between catalysts 6500

hetene_kaz
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I am in front of a choice what to select to deploy 10Ge in my datacenter to get four 6504e and two 3750x units connected to each other.

All devices are located in 3-7 meters away from each other.

The choice is whether to go for a multimode fiber and 10GBASE-SR X2 Modules OR cat7 UTP and 10GBASE-T X2 pluggable transceiver.

Moneywise it doesn't matter.

Fiber looks less attractive since it's fragile and a bit harder to put in underfloor area.

Cat7 is more attractive but there are 2 points:

1) I couldn't find ANY single photo of a 10GBASE-T (a module with a single RJ45 port). How does it look? Does it come with a cable or...??

2) How stable is it to run 10Ge over UTP?

Thanks in advance for your comprehensive advices.

1 Reply 1

mcusine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hetane,

Personally if the money if not the problem I always prefer fiber for the moment.

I don't know if you connect the cable direct from one rack to other or use any cable mirror. If you connect direct you can use cobber but I still prefering fiber.

Take a look in this Cisco info:

Several media and transceiver options  are available today for 10 Gigabit Ethernet server connectivity.  Considerations for use cases depend on variables such as cost, latency,  distance, power consumption, and technology availability. Cisco provides  two main 10 Gb Ethernet copper server connectivity options today:

Connector (Media) Cable Distance Protocol
SFP+ CU copperTwinax10m10GBase-CX1
RJ45 10GBASE-T copperCat6, Cat6A, Cat7100m10GBase-T

Category 6A (Cat6a)  copper cabling was developed in conjunction with the 10GBASE-T standard  to achieve reliable 10-Gbps operation over 100-meter copper twisted-pair  channels. 10GBASE-T has higher latency and consumes more power than  other 10 Gb Ethernet physical layers. However, in 2008 10GBASE-T silicon  became available from several manufacturers with claimed power  dissipation of 6W and a latency approaching 1 microsecond.

10GBASE-CX-1 based direct attach  cooper is an alternative copper solution that uses SFP+ direct-attach  Twinax cabling. Although this solution has a limited cable distance of  up to 10 meters, it provides a robust, power-efficient, and  cost-effective solution for 10 Gb Ethernet transmission.

The SFP+ direct-attach solution is a  fully integrated SFP+ cable that is available in multiple lengths up to  10 meters. The SFP+ direct-attach solution draws 1.5 watts (W) of power  per port, has a latency of 0.1 microsecond, and is available today.

Regardless of these variances, Cisco offers a full range of standards-compliant, high performance copper-based 10G solutions.

tell me if this is help us.

King regards,

Mauricio

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card