Views
Helpful
Replies

12.2(58)SE2 on a 2960 cause memory leaks

pasztor.richard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I had a very disappointed experience today  during the planned upgrade on my 2960 to IOS version 12.2(58)SE2 after business hours. We have a small office with 3x 2960 and a couple of 2950. There is a single 2960 called as the "central" as its the STP root, and most other switches are directly connected to the central. The remaining switches are conected to one of the switches conneting to the central.

I tested the aforementioned IOS on 2x 2960 las t week, but did not upgrade the central one. The 2x switches ran fine for a week, so I decided to upgrade the central one: basically it was a disaster. After the restart, the central became immediately unavailable via SSH (though admin IP pingable). I connected to the console, and realized that even console does not work, as I received the error message: "Low memory", and the console session could not be started. I restarted the switch once again (had to cut the power) and this time I managed to connect via the serial: the free memory was approx 2 MB, though its was over 5 MB if running 12.2(55)SE1. After 1-2 mins, free memory decreased down to 1.8 megs. SSH was still not functioning. At this time, fearing of a sudden memory leak during the night, I had to rollback to the previous version.

My config is quite simple: RSTP root, DHCP snooping, 1 LACP etherchannel, only 5x VLANs with VTP server, MOTD and BANNER (yeah I know its a risky feature since the previous IOS) I wonder what can be the problem here?

I have attached the running config of the central 2960 (removed some sensitive entries)

70 Replies 70

At least the 58SE2 release notes has been updated last week, added this issue as an open caveat.

Although I find "funny" that 2 trunk ports and 5 VLANs configured mean "too much" in cisco terminology.

From what I was told, the 15.0(1)SE wasn't really tested thoroughly. 

LOL, why am I not surprised...?

Do you know any planned date to release a fixed version? I expect it should fall into the quarterly 2960 IOS update (its about time in the coming days), I really need it. 55SE is causing frequent STP topology changes / temporary blockings I experience it at least a couple of times per week, and this new 58SE seriously fails for the already known reason.

Hi Richard,

There are no regular quarterly updates for 2960.There will be maintenance build for 15.0(1)SE soon.I don't have the exact date right now.

There will be maintenance build for 15.0(1)SE soon.I don't have the exact date right now.

Wooo-hooo!

Can you give an estimated release date (like in  2 weeks, or a month?)

Can you give an estimated release date (like in  2 weeks, or a month?)

How does March 2012 sound to you?

Very bad

Has this (15.0.1SE1) been pulled back by Cisco, as I cannot see it listed on the download page under 2960, I can only see the 6 months old 15.0.1SE.

Looks like it's been pulled.  I can't find this version any more (across the board).

poor quality assurance kicks back :-|

I created a TAC Case.  It's confirmed.  15.0(1)SE1 has been pulled because they found something sinister. 

15.0(1)SE1 is now back Richard.  This is a totally re-built file to 15.0(1)SE1 which is ALSO called 15.0(1)SE1.

So you need to re-download this IOS from Cisco, overwrite the old one with the same filename and re-upload (and reload) your switch. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card