Views
Helpful
Replies

2 Gateways in same subnet

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I have 2 sites connected via a Layer 2 circuit. Both sites have a core L3 switch and their own Internet connection. I need to have a virtual server VLAN, that spans across both sites.

So instead of using a GW at one site, can i define a GW at both sites for the same VLAN to be used as the GW.

So for example the Stretched VLAN is VLAN 10 192.168.10.0/24

Can I define Int VLAN 10 at site 1 with IP 192.168.10.1 and int vlan 10 at site 2 with IP 192.168.10.2

So to avoid servers on one site crossing to the other site to reach their default gateway.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can do this and as long as you are happy to manually configure the different gateways on the servers it will work.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can do this and as long as you are happy to manually configure the different gateways on the servers it will work.

Jon

Thanks Jon, Just thought Id clarify that :-)

Hi Jon

Please consider  have 1000's of workstations in this site.

What will you do..?

Regards

Khaleelur Rahman

Khaleelur

Normally you would use HSRP etc. for this but that isn't the case here.

The servers are in the same vlan but in two different sites and if you used HSRP then all traffic would have to go to one site ie. where the active gateway is.

You could use MHSRP but there is little point because if the switch goes down there is no alternate path (as far as I can tell) between sites so you gain nothing.

So in this case setting the server's default gateway to local SVI IP address is the easiest thing  to do.

Jon

Thanks guys, so the server guy has said they would manually assign the IP address and GW to each virtual server and they would like the servers at each site to hit a local gateway although all servers at both sites are to be on the same VLAN. So that seems the simplest approach to have a gateway at each site as Jon suggested

Hi Mokhal

You can do this by using Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol like HSRP or VRRP

Regards 

Khaleelur Rahman

*Please dont forget to rate if this info is helpfull

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: