cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 layer 3 switches connected via router ports

bhushitd1
Level 1
Level 1

I have two layer 3 switches (4507 and 6509) which are connected via router ports (no switchport) directly.

Now i am running a vlan on 6509 which i want to extend beyond 4507 without adding any new route on my 6509 please help !!!

I have added that vlan to 4507 also and able to ping the host connected to that but not able to ping the same from my 6509.

3 Replies 3

I would prefer to change the port to a trunk with the vlans allowed u want. Otherwise u have to configure the routing proper for that design. I see no other change in moment.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dave

As Sebastian says you need a trunk link. The vlan that you want to extend to the 4500 do you still want to route it on the 6500 ?  If so then the easiest thing to do is -

1) create a new vlan at L2 in the vlan database on tboth switches

2) create a L3 SVI for this vlan on both switches

3) migrate the IP addresses you used on the physical ports to the SVI on each switch

4) change ports to switchports and configure a trunk link

5) on the trunk link allow the new vlan and the vlan you want to extend

the above emulates a routed link but allows the vlan you want to extend between the two switches. So for any existing vlans on each switch you still route between the two switches via the new vlan SVIs you created. But for the vlan you want to extend to the 4500 it is still routed on the 6500.

Hope that makes sense.

Jon

Thanks Sebastian & Jon for your valuable inputs, i am working on to convert that non switched link to a trunk.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card