Helpful
Replies

2 vlans on same 2960g switch

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured 2 vlans on a 2960g switch. ports 1/6 vlan 10

ports 7/12 vlan 11

i want machines on both vlans to communicate with each other. what do I use as default gateway or what is the configuration?

9 Replies 9

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

the switch is a single isolated switch no connection to core or router

You need 2 create 2 SVIs (one for each vlan) and assign an IP segment to each

example

interface vlan 2

ip address 10.10.10.2.1 255.255.255.0

interface vlan 11

ip address 10.10.10.11.1 255.255.255.0

You also need the layer-2 vlan for each

vlan 2

name test

vlan 11

name test1

assign the proper port to each vlan.

HTH

You needs L3 device switch or which can support communication between different subnets,

if same thing you did over L3 switch only enable ip routing can able to communicate between both VLANs,

if you configured these VLANs over L2 switch and used router to route between these VLANs then you can use default gate way  or default route

its all on one switch. its a 2960g. I tried ip routing command but does not seem to recognize that. both vlans configured with default mgmt gateway ip. I can ping the gateway ip but not hosts

maybe the 2960g is a layer 2 switch? can i use static routes to allow communication btw vlans?

its L2 switch only,

you can ping Gateway as its on same switch side.

so what can i do to ping hosts on other vlan?

Hi Tony,

As 2960G is a layer 2 only switch, you need an L3 switch or L3 router to route between theses vlans. You have two options :

A. Use an L3 switch like 3560/3750, trunk 2960 to this L3 switch and create your vlans. Configure the Vlans SVI's on the L3 switch which will be the gateway for your hosts connected on the 2960 switch.

B. Use a router, connect it to 2960 switch and use router on stick model to configure the sub-interfaces on the router to route the traffic between vlans. Please see the link below for this config.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

HTH,

-amit singh

as i mentioned in my first post (and Amith Singh in recent post) you need to use L3 switch or router

for each of them if you need configuration example visit above link (mentioned by Amith singh) and for more examples search over cisco site /google you will get complete configuration as per your senario.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: