cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 WLANs with 2 VLANs on one lightweight AP

Adam.Jaster
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of 1142N APs around the office that are running our internal wireless network.  I want to use the second radion on the APs to provide a guest wireless network as well, but I want that netowrk to be on a separate VLAN so that the traffic does not touch our internal systems.  Going through the switches is fine, just no communication with internal resources.

We are using a controller to manage the APs, so they are not standalone; but none of the devices are connected directly to the controller either.  I am hoping that there is a way to send 2 vlans through the switch ports that they are connected to either without trunking the port, or enabling the APs to decode the tagged traffic coming through the trunk link.

1 Reply 1

Hey Adam,

If you want to user only one VLAN on a port or just an access port, you can create a second interface on the controller and map the new WLAN/SSID to that interface. On the AP just deploy the second SSID and u have what u want. The "Guest" SSID on your case will be tunneled through the CAPWAP/LWAPP tunnel and "go" to the network over the controller

If you want to user H-Reap with a breakout on the Switch, u need a trunk port.

just let me know if that helps or we need to speak once again.

regards,

Sebastian

Pls. rate if that helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card