cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2500 series router showing "No password set" when trying to "en" while connected via serial cable

David Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a 2500 series router with an octal-cable as an access server to my router / switch stack, and turning it on today I found a couple of issues, and I am having trouble finding the answer to this niche issue.

I have a direct Serial connection from my laptop to the 2500, and after booting up (I didn't have putty open during the boot sequence) I got incrementing lines when I hit enter like 2a: 45fa3c4, 3d: 24ff123a, etc each time I hit enter.

So I figured it hit a snag in booting, power cycled, and the boot did not actually show anything except an odd little character " ▒ "

I tried to do an 'enable' on the router and got this:

ASR>en
% No password set

I am still able to telnet to my routers / switches while in user-priv mode, but concerned that this is like the dying breath of the router, and if there is anything this indicates / anything I can do to fix this.

Any input greatly appreciated, thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, 

I hope you configured "privilege level 15" command under the line VTY, so it is not asked for enable password using telnet.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

put a local userID and password in with pirvilege 15 and on your login vty 0 4 and or console:

add login local

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

I unfortunately need to be in global configuration to add login local, whereas I can't get to the enable prompt.

If you are on the console and you still cant confgure it. there is no other way but to do a password recovery to regain access to your router. 

check this on how to do that:   https://supportforums.cisco.com/kxiwq67737/attachments/kxiwq67737/5736-discussions-physical-security/511/1/71567-pswdrec_2500.pdf

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi,
I hope your console cable is connected to aux port instead of the console port. Please verify.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar
Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Yes sir, the 2500 series access server has the laptop plugged into the AUX port, and the octal cable running to the routers / switches connect to their console ports.

Hi, 

I hope you configured "privilege level 15" command under the line VTY, so it is not asked for enable password using telnet.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Ok so the stupid thing is, the cable is supposed to be in the console port and NOT the Aux port.

As soon as I plugged into the Console port, I was able to en on the 2500 no problem, and access my router / switch rack.

Not sure why I thought the 2500 was supposed to be Aux, thank you for all the suggestions!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card