cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 router - what files are really needed in flash?

ruben
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 2811 router. Using nearly all functions (VPN, CME, Firewall etc).

The flash is almost full, now using 12.4v3 IOS. I have to upgrade it to be able to use AnyConnect VPN and is thinking about ereasing all of the flash. However, what files will I need to add again?

I understand I will have to add the IOS bin file of course. Then I will need to add the SDM software (I assume I can let the setup.exe file solve what files to transfer). Then what about the "cme-basic-4.2.0.1.tar" file? This is one I can extract on the router, but do I need to? And if I need to - I assume I should erease the tar-file afterwards to save space.

I think I would have to load bin-files for our Cisco IP Phones too... or is that included in the cme-basic.tar file?

So far I have just upgaded the IOS bin file some times. On my last upgrade attemt I was out of space. The bin-files just get bigger for each new version. What can I do about that? Is there a way to get a bigger flash?

Many questions here, but if someone can help me out on parts if this it would be great!

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ruben

You do not tell us how much flash you currently have on your 2811 router so it is hard to know whether getting a larger flash is feasible. Many routers do have options for larger flash.

If you are using SDM I would be reluctant to delete the SDM files. I would start by deleting the current IOS image file which you will be replacing. I would also look for other files in flash that can be identified as not needed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

64MB flash

What about .tar-files? Shall they always be extracted in the router or just copy the whole file an "leave it" on the flash?

What's probably best to be avoided, is an unnecessary TAR file and its extraction on the same flash. If the TAR can be used by the router without extracting the contents, using it would reduce the flash footprint.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Agree with Rick, the easiest solution might be the need to delete all prior IOS image files before loading a new one. Many of the 2811s I've worked with don't have sufficient flash space for two full featured images.

Also, if you're using the new DOS like formatted flash, deleting individual files will release their space. No need to reformat/erase the whole flash or do a squeeze.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card