Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2821 bandwidth

There are 2 offices, between offices a dedicated channel of 1 gigabit. The ends are cisco 2821. I can not use the 1 Gigabit channel for all power. Maximum achieves the transfer speed on the port 490-500 MB/s, although the port is 1 Gb at 2821.
Can you tell me why? This is the maximum that I can squeeze? I do not use NAT.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The 2821 is fast-path rated 170 Kpps for minimum size Ethernet packets, which supports about 87 Mbps. You're transfer rate will increase as the packet size increases, but the 2821 is not a (sustained) gig capable router (even though it has gig interfaces).

To support a gig rate (duplex?) you would want a performance upgraded 4451 or a entry ASR 1K.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The 2821 is fast-path rated 170 Kpps for minimum size Ethernet packets, which supports about 87 Mbps. You're transfer rate will increase as the packet size increases, but the 2821 is not a (sustained) gig capable router (even though it has gig interfaces).

To support a gig rate (duplex?) you would want a performance upgraded 4451 or a entry ASR 1K.

Thanks for the answer ! It's strange, then why the speed when copying files or the test (iperf) reaches 500Mbps on the cisco interface 2821

Likely due to larger packet sizes.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card