Views
Helpful
Replies

2955 management IP ping delay

zdh1207
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,guys:

A Catalyst 2955c-12 just make me mad.The client complaint that his network management software kept alarm about 4 2955c-12 in his lan. From any device I ping to those concerned devices' management IP address, there are 500 to 600 ms delay, though no lost packets. Those 2955c-12 are all conected to a WS-X4124-FX-MT line card of a catalyst 4510R ,which is the core switch of the lan,through its 100base-FX optical fiber interface .Even I ping from 4510R, there is reply delay. I have no idea what's going wrong. Anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

12 Replies 12

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

check the CPU utilization on the 2955.

The CPU utilization is 5%. And everything is alright accept the device itself delay.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How long has the 2955 and the 4510R been up?

Any line errors between the two 100BaseFX?

They have been up for as long as one year.There seams to be no errors between. some ends are connected to the 2955 without any problems. Only the 2955 itself gets into trouble.

Hi,

Once I face a similar problem where I was not getting snmp response from the same model switch. The problem looks like of 'memory low'. When the switch was rebooted it again start responding to snmp. Rebooting may not be the right decision.

Check if you are showing memory low, sho memory.

--Gaurav

The 2955 seamed not have trouble with its memory when I show proce mem. The problem is when I ping to it, the echo reply frequently change to 500-600 ms delay,and sometimes it changes back to 1-2 ms delay. Any possibility I have considered but the real answer.

What is the version of the IOS?

version 12.1

Thanks. I had an experience with a switch that suddenly stopped telnet access/cluster and HTML but data traffic is normal. Only solution was to reboot it and works after that.

Consider Gaurav's advice that sometimes a reboot may or may not help.

I have thought about this method but I don't know why there are four 2955 which have the same problem. Rebooting all of them ?

If you want to consider rebooting them (I know I would), reboot one and see if the issue has improved.

thanks.I would do it later because the devices are on the side of the client. I am still wondering that the device's problem is not unaccessible but only ping rely delay, and when telnet on it, it responds commands very slowly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: