Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 Stacking

scottmanzie1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

When Provisioning 2 brand new switches for flexi-stack use is there a recommended order of doing it

I know I can configure these lines on the primary swich before connecting the stack cable:

switch 1 priority 14

switch 2 priority 13

But what I'm not sure on is if these provision commands are necessary and if so should they be input before or after connecting the stack?

switch 1 provision WS-C2960S-48FPD-L

switch 2 provision WS-C2960S-48FPD-L

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You should only apply the config to one of your switches (switch A), and have that one powered on for longer, before you connect the second switch. Once the switches are connected a stack election will occur. Switch A since it has a longer uptime (in this case this is the only metric that matters) will become the master, Switch B will reload. Upon reload, it will join the stack as a member and download the config from the stack master, includiing the switch config you have above.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

cheers,

Seb.

Christoph Faber
Level 1
Level 1

The provisioning command itself does not have to be used. You may use it if you want to tell the switch that another one will be joining the stack and you want to set up a configuration for it.

If you want to stack to switches you don't need to enter commands, just stack them together.

Only if you want to exactly determine that one switch is Number one or one switch is the master, you need to take an action.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: