Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-X Flex Stack fully redundant?

Jason Smyth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've tried to find the answer but it doesn't seem that clear. I have a simple question, if I use Flex Stack with 2 switches A & B having server A plugged into switch A. If switch A was to die would server A still have connectivity to the reset of the network that is connected to switch A & B?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

If serverA was only single attached to the stack via switchA, then if switchA failed, serverA would have no network connection.

To build in some resiliency, install a second NIC into serverA and connect the other interface to switchB, and bond the two interfaces ito a port-channel. This design would be resistant to a single switch failure.

cheers,

Seb.

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

On the 2960x, you would have to have an uplink on both switches. If power goes out on switch A or it dies, Switch B would also be down unless you have a network connection on that switch. The solution is to have two uplink ports, one on the top switch and one in the bottom. You can set that up as a port-channel to increase the amount of bandwidth available while they are both online.

The 3850 series has power redundancy built into the stacking technology, where the switches both stay online, even if you lose one power supply.

please rate helpful posts.

OK, thanks so in a 2 switch setup is there any point in me stacking them?

There are benefits to stacking switches such as only having to manage 1 switch instead of multiple. Here is a good article below.

https://www.curvature.com/stacking-switches

Also, please see Dave's reply in this previous post.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/what-are-the-benefits-of-stacking-switches/td-p/2194062

Please mark helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card