cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 -X series OS upgrade on a stack

steeveb12
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 2960 -X series. one with the latest OS and the other not. I need to upgrade the second. what is the easy way to do it ( I prefer not to reboot the master if I don't have to)?

4 Replies 4

PERI_Admin
Level 1
Level 1

Once you join a new member to an existing stack master the member downloads automatically the IOS version from the master and reboots itself.

ebenav11
Level 1
Level 1

The master in the stack upgrade automatically the IOS version of the another members. 

You don't need reboot the master.

KR!

Ro-Lak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this is my personal experience with the 2960-X, First, it is recommended to assign the stack master a higher priority 15 for e.g, so that switch will always be the master.

- the 2nd switch will also need to need to be upgraded to the same version as the rest of the stack before adding. you will get an ios version mismatch message if you dont do this (from experience).

i tend to use the USBport, quick and easy

- once the IOS is upgraded  to the latest version on the 2nd swtich - and when you want to connect it to the stack,  DO NOT POWER ON THE new 2960x yet, once the stacking cables are connected, then power on. The MASTER doesnt need to be rebooted.

- after the new switch goes through the motions, it will be added as a new stack member, and the config copied to the new switch. in my experience i havn't seen a situation where the Master automatically does the ios upgrade as well, I might have missed that point.

- but i have read, once the both switches are on the stack- u can upgrade the switch using the archive command and that install across all the rest of the switches.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card