cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-X stacking and physical connectivity into distributions switch.

I'm in the process of migrating existing single 3560G access switch (See attached Diagram)  and replace it with two 2960X switches running in a stack.

Existing 3560G port G0/1 and G0/2 is running in port-channel (See attached diagram) which is connected to existing 2 x 3750 distribution switches.

My questions is when I replace new 2 x 2960X running in Stacking (Virtually one Switch), how should I connect the new physical switches to the distribution switches?

Should I connect it the same way using two ports from single 2960X switch to uplink to distribution switch or should I connect single Gig port from each 2960X switches?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

eric.ahernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As Reza pointed out, you can connect each uplink to a different switch in the stack for redundancy, it's called a cross-stack port-channel. I attached a diagram for reference and the documentation is in the following link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/layer2/configuration_guide/b_lay2_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_lay2_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_010.html

Hope you find it useful!

View solution in original post

Yes, as long as the switches are stacked, you can build a Portchannel using different ports from different switches.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

should I connect single Gig port from each 2960X switches?

To have redundancy in case of a switch failure, make sure to connect a Gig port from rach 2960X switch?

HTH

Thanks,

Can I still configure port channels if the uplinks are physically separated between two switches?

Yes, as long as the switches are stacked, you can build a Portchannel using different ports from different switches.

HTH

eric.ahernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As Reza pointed out, you can connect each uplink to a different switch in the stack for redundancy, it's called a cross-stack port-channel. I attached a diagram for reference and the documentation is in the following link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/layer2/configuration_guide/b_lay2_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_lay2_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_010.html

Hope you find it useful!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card