Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-XR OSPF capabilities

jamie-nicol
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm confused about the exact OSFP capabilities of a 2960-XR switch running IP-Lite.

I understand it runs OSPF for Routed Access, with limitations of 200 learned routes and 1 OSPF instance.

This document suggests:

OSPF is supported in IP Lite. OSPF for Routed Access supports only one OSPFv2 and one OSPFv3 instance with a combined total of 200 dynamically learned routes. The IP Lite image provides OSPF for routed access. 

However, these restrictions are not enforced in this release.

So the restrictions exist but are not enforced? Does that mean there are no restrictions?

In my implementation I currently have 191 dynamic routes, so am approaching the 200 limit. If the OSPF restrictions are enforced, what happens to the 201st learned route? Is it ignored?

If I were to reduce the number of OSPF routes in the RIB by using a distribute-list, would that count as reducing the number of learned routes? My guess is it wouldn't, as the OSPF database would still contain the same number of routes.

Lastly, does the 2960-XR support a full OSPF area, or does it only support stub/NSSA areas?

Many thanks.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jamie,

So the restrictions exist but are not enforced? Does that mean there are no restrictions?

The restriction is 200.  Now, if you go above that number, the switch is not going to stop working but if you call TAC for OSPF support they are not going to support you.

Overall, the 2960 series devices are designed to work as layer-2 and not so much to run full routing protocols. If you are looking to do full OSPF, and other routing protocols, you may want to look at the 3650 series with IP Services license..

HTH

jamie-nicol
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your answer Reza.

I guess that means that the 201st learned route will not be dropped/ignored.

Could anyone answer my other question:

• Does the 2960-XR support a full OSPF area, or does it only support stub/NSSA areas?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: