cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960G's not communicating

is66rlhntadm
Level 1
Level 1

We have to 2960g'S and from switch 0 I can't ping switch 1 and people on switch 1 can't access the proxy server on switch 0

I can't see anything wrong with this config please help

and as there was only one cable going between the old switches there is only one going between the new switches and it happens to be going from sw0/47 to sw1/48

20 Replies 20

The installer only put in one cable (goes sw0/47-to-sw1/48)

as I'm quite far away from the switches I can't easily connect another cable

yes sh int trunk looks ok

would "channel-group1 mode desirable" be a more robust config

we would like to use etherchannel but can get by without

A negotiated port channel does check the port paramters and will only bring the channel active if everything is configured ok . Everyone has there own opinion on whether to force on the channels and trunks . We usually use pagp or lacp to create the etherchannels.

Can you configure switchport mode access, and switchport access vlan 1 on the gig0/47 port of switch 0 connecting to Switch 1, for troubleshooting purpose , and remove trunk ? Let it act as a normal access port and try to reach VLAN 1's ip address on the second switch !

in anycase, we will have to wait till u get access to second switch !

Raj

I ended up just removing the port-channel and doing a normal trunk

Richard. Thats cool. But any idea why the portchannel did not work ? Layer 2 on portchannel was fine, but no layer 3 access ? were you able to troubleshoot that ?

Anyway, great to see that you have solved the issue...

Raj

It looks to have been a layer 2 issue

the arp table would only ever show incomplete for 18.3 so I think the "ON" mode isn't as flexable I thought

maybe if there had been a 2nd cable

if/when the ship gets back up here I'll see about applying an ether channel again

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card