Views
Helpful
Replies

2960G Switches and Auto QOS

roarkholz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am relatively new to working with Cisco switches and would appreciate any pointers anyone can give me regarding an issue I am having.

I have Seven 2960G 24-port switches and two 2960G 48-port switches that I am attempting to get Auto QOS set up on and seem to be having problems with just one of the 24-port switches. Six of these switches are installed at one location and the seventh (the one I am having problems with) is installed at another site connected with a 100Mb dedicated fiber connection using Allied Telesyn Fiber transceivers. All switches are running software version 15.0(1)SE3.

When I initially installed the six switches at the main site I simply used the switch web interface to set all of the ports to the "Cisco Phone+Desktop" Smartport setting, with the exception of the trunk ports which I set to the "Cisco Switch" Smartport setting. At the time I did not pay much attention beyond that as everything seemed to be working fine for us. By viewing the running config of these switches it looks as though the smart port setting I used enabled Auto QOS by default and near the top of the config for each switch there is a long list of commands that start "mls qos..."

My problem is with the seventh switch that is in our satellite office, I configured it using the web interface in the same method as all of my switches, setting most of the ports to "Cisco Phone+Desktop" just as before. When I check the config for this particular switch I see that just as with the other switches the commands "macro description cisco-phone" and "auto qos voip cisco-phone" are there in each of the interface configs, however all of the generated stuff that I see in the config for my other switches does not show up near the top of the config file for this particular switch (the lines that start "mls qos..."). It was my understanding (though perhaps wrongly) that those "mls qos" commands were supposed to be generated when auto qos was enabled on any port.

I am wondering if anyone can give me any tips as to why one switch might be behaving differently than the others and any guidance on getting this resolved.

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

roarkholz
Level 1
Level 1

This is solved, I ended up pulling the switch out, resetting it to factory defaults and configuring it again, this time everything seemed to work as expected.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card