cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960L Release 15.2(7)E Wake On Lan not working

marcusman
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone know how to get WOL to work on a 2960L switch?

According to the documentation "Wake-on-LAN (WoL) is an Ethernet computer networking standard, where you can use a network message to wake up a computer. You can send a WoL magic packet to a specific device in the EnergyWise network by clicking the green play icon on the Services > Energy Saver > Ports page. However, to do this, the EnergyWise status should be enabled. A red play icon indicates that there are no clients connected to this interface and therefore WoL is not applicable."   

My previous switch Netgear 105 worked fine with WoL but I keep seeing the "Red play icon" even though my router and computer(s) support WoL.   I'm a rookie with Cisco gear but I learn quickly.  I'm trying to send this command wol -i 192.168.1.255 xx:xx:ca:xx:xx:xx but the computer I'm trying to wake up 192.168.x.x doesn't respond. 

I think I've setup the Energy Wise correctly but the I'm not sure.  When I click on "Configure EnergyWise domain" This is what I have

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 7.14.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 7.12.11 AM.png

2 Replies 2

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"A red play icon indicates that there are no clients connected to this interface and therefore WoL is not applicable."

Are there clients connected?

You have port-channel selected as an interface. Can you please try with a physical interface i.e gig0/1?

This may help with troubleshooting enerywise - 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/security/configuration_guide/b_consolidated_152ex_2960-X_cg/b_consolidated_152ex_2960-X_cg_chapter_010.html#reference_2862DA03DADD4A06BA36CA64F52EE87E

Thanks for your response.  My client is connected it always has been.  I've also tried using just gig/01 instead of port-channel1 I'm still seeing the "Red" play button

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: