ANNOUNCEMENT - The community will be down for maintenace this Thursday August 13 from 12:00 AM PT to 02:00 AM PT. As a precaution save your work.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

2960L SVI issue

I have a 24port 2960-L (running the latest IOS) which being passive cooled fits my requirement well.

I have configured it with a number of VLANs with a SVI on each and enabled routing.

Seemingly at random an SVI stops responding. Unfortunately I was in a hurry to get things working so power cycled the switch which resolved the issue. I'm hopeful next time it occurs (its already happened a number of times) I can get a laptop and console cable to see what's happening. Other than that its working perfectly.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue with the 2960-L series? any hints on where to look for issues?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Expert

Re: 2960L SVI issue

Hi,

What is your license level? "sh ver" should show you that. Also, is "ip routing" enabled?

HTH

Highlighted
Beginner

I believe all 2960L have the same (I think LAN Lite) and yes I have ip routing in my config.

As I said, its works fine, then just stops so the feature exists and is enabled. The SVI suddenly doesn't respond to ping and doesn't route, when it has happened it wasn't for all VLANs, traffic was routing correctly between 2 other VLANs so whatever it is appears to be isolated to the SVI.
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Expert

Adam,

Not sure what version of IOS you are running, but you may want to upgrade the IOS to a different version and test again as this maybe a bug.

HTH

Highlighted
Beginner

Already on the latest MR for this switch, I guess I could try going back a version and see if that helps.

Highlighted
Hall of Fame Expert

Already on the latest MR for this switch, I guess I could try going back a version and see if that helps.

Exactly, just try a different version. That would take the IOS bug out of the equation.

HTH

Highlighted
Collaborator

you said you have number of VLANs with a SVI on each and enabled routing.  How many? maybe you have too many and switch simply cannot handle traffic. check configs, look at ip routing table. anything pointing to outgoing interface instead of an IP?  make sure there no chance for ARP table to grow exponentially

check SDM settings, not sure what is preferred or default settings for the 2960 switch

check logs and CPU/memory utilization

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Highlighted
Beginner

Currently 4 SVIs and VLANs, less than 30 devices on the network. I don't think its traffic but I'll keep an eye on the cpu/memory.

The 2960L only has the one SDM template I believe.

I think at this stage I'm going to have to wait for it to reoccur and check the state as its happening.

Content for Community-Ad