cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X 4 switch stack running at wrong speed

jonhill
Level 1
Level 1

I installed over the weekend 3 * 2960x stacks using Stack-Plus kits, the 3 stacks are 4, 3 and 2 switches. 

What I've found when I did sh switch stack-ring speed on all 3 stacks is that the stack ring is only running at 20G, I thought that it was the S that ran at 20G and the X ran at 40G.

As far as I can see there's no config for changing the speed to 40G only lowering it to 10G.

Should the output from the Show command display 40G and if it should what have I done wrong in the installation\config of the stack.

The stacks are running ISO v 15.0(2)EX5.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

10 Replies 10

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure you have all the stack cables in correctly, if they are not connected in a supported config this will automatically lower the ring speeds .

Hi Jon

Like Glen says  - check how you have cable the stacking

Look at the flex stack cabling section on this link:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/white_paper_c11-728327.html

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

I double checked all the docs on 2960X stacking before I posted this question.

Taking the easiest stack, 2 switches, Switch 1 stack port 1 to Switch 2 stack port 2 and then Switch 2 stack port 1 to Switch 1 stack port 2 as per the Cisco documentation.

I've also just looked at the sh switch stack-ring speed and there's further info, its also say stack ring configuration full and Stack ring protocol Flexstack, shouldn't this say Flexstack plus?

Thanks

Jon 

Hey Jon,

Did you ever figure this out? I just connected 4 switches and am getting the same results.

Stack Ring Speed        : 20G
Stack Ring Configuration: Full
Stack Ring Protocol     : FlexStack

I am using the cabling as shown in figure 8.

Thanks

Brent

Brent

Nope all our 2960X stacks are still showing 20G ring speed even when the cabling is correct as per Cisco documentation.

Jon

I got the exact same problem.

Has anyone found a solution?

Any one have the post for above issue.

I have the same issue running on 20Gbps. "4 Switch stack 2960x"

TAC basically told me this is just a cosmetic type thing and not really a need to worry about it. May get addressed in a future release but does not affect operation.

Brent

I've got the exact same problem too, the speed is showing as 20G running standard flexstack.

Various stacks of 2960x's running 15.0(2)

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The stacking bandwidth on the 2960-X should be 80 Gig

see this chart comparison:

http://www.ipv6.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/sales-tool-c96-730473.pdf

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card