cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X and Inter-vlan

ring zer0
Level 1
Level 1

I have read from cisco sites that 2960X with Lan base supports up to 16 static routes however I believe this is a layer 2 switch . One of my confusion is that would I be able to do Inter-vlan routing with this . Has anyone tried this ?

7 Replies 7

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

On this switch just static routing is supported and only on switched virtual interfaces (SVIs) and not on physical interfaces. The switch does not support routing protocols.

Thanks for the reply .

Yes i understand that dyamic routing is not supported . If we have one switch I can make 3 SVI and assign each port to each SVI , later each port can be connected to a Laptop . This way each laptop will have different IP . Because Laptop's default gateway would be SVI created on switch all data would travel there .

Now if i do a show ip route on that switch I will see all 3 SVI as Directly Connected route with an administrative distance of 0 because the line protocol of SVI is up .

My question is would Laptop A be able to ping Laptop B , Intervlan routing ?

Hi Arsalan, for inter vlan routing, you need a L3 device. so the answer is No. Laptop A will not ping Laptop B however, your can connect this switch to a router or L3 switches and perform the inter vlan routing. Hope this clarifies. Regards, Kapil **Pls rate if you find this useful**

2960X (not XR) has some limited L3 features.

You can enable L3 support by configuring:

- change SDM template: conf t->sdm prefer lanbase-routing

- enable IP routing: conf t -> IP routing

- create SVI interfaces: conf t -> interface vlan X -> ip address x.z.w.y...

Just tried it yesterday in a lab: I created two vlan interfaces and traffic was successfully routed from one vlan to other vlan without any problem.

I was even able to configure L3 access list and attached it to vlan interface.

prajithtr_2
Level 1
Level 1

2960X switches doesnt support L3  where as 2960X supports(Rip,OSPF and some L3 features).it is IP base software not Lan Base.So with 2960XR switches you can do all those stuffs.

Please refer the docs

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960xr/software/15-0_2_EX1/routing/configuration_guide/b_rt_152ex1_2960-xr_cg/b_rt_152ex1_2960-xr_cg_chapter_011.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/qa_c67-728348.html

marbelg
Level 1
Level 1

how About Inter Vlan Routing in 2960X with a LAN base Image, is it supported??

Inter Vlan routing works fine, at least for  WS-C2960X-48FPS-L / 15.2(2)E7 / C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M:

Switch#sh ip route
Codes: L - local, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP

Gateway of last resort is 10.0.0.254 to network 0.0.0.0

S*    0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 10.0.0.254
      10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 4 subnets, 2 masks
C        10.0.0.0/24 is directly connected, Vlan2
L        10.0.0.2/32 is directly connected, Vlan2
C        10.0.1.0/24 is directly connected, Vlan3
L        10.0.1.2/32 is directly connected, Vlan3

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card