cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X mix 10G/1G uplink ports, it it possible?

schulcz
Level 1
Level 1

For example I have a WS-C2960X-24PD-L, which has two SFP/SFP+ uplink port. If I bought one 10G and one 1G SFP transceiver module, can I use them on the same switch, or these two ports can works on the same speed at the same time?

(Its not an etherchannel, port 25 connects to sw A, port 26 connects to sw B, which hasn't 10G capability.)

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I recalled correctly, the answer is yes.

So can I use these 2 ports at different speed by different modules at the same time, is that sure?

No sure if you can have a mix of 1 and 10Gig at the same time.

From the installation guide

SFP and SFP+ Module Slots

The switch has either two or four 1-Gigabit SFP or two 10-Gigabit SFP+ module slots. The slots marked SFP+ support both SFP and SFP+ modules. The SFP slots support only the SFP modules.

Link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/hardware/installation/guide/b_c2960x_hig_chapter_01.html#ID242

4 1Gig or 2 10Gig if I am reading it correctly.

HTH

... then again, I could be wrong. 

Thanks for the corrections, Reza.  :)

Hi Leo,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks!

Reza

Doing fine, Reza.  

I'm doing fine.  How about your end?

Doing well, Leo

Thanks,

Reza

I'm afraid that will not work. Earlier in the 2960s series also raised the question of the family did not support this mixing.
That's bad news, I need to plan a network, but it will be hard without trustwortly information.

If you have not purchased the 2960x yet, look at the 3650 series.  A bit more expensive but much better switches with more options.  You can have a mix of 1 and 10Gig ports.

I had to replace 30 2960x switches with 3650s, because we had so many issues with them. I stay away from 2960x series.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card