Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X unable to boot from image

I have a few switches that failed to upgrade from flash:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx15.2.2-e5.tar

I tried the xmodem process, and file copies successfully & still fails to boot. Next steps?

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

File "xmodem:" successfully copied to "flash:c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5.bin"

switch: set boot flash:flash:c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5.bin

switch: reset
Are you sure you want to reset the system (y/n)?y
System resetting...
ÿ
CPU rev: B
Image passed digital signature verification
Board rev: 25
Testing DataBus...
Testing AddressBus...
Testing Memory from 0x00000000 to 0x1fffffff.../
Using driver version 4 for media type 1
Xmodem file system is available.
Base ethernet MAC Address: f8:b7:e2:5b:d1:80
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
USB EHCI 1.00
USB EHCI 1.00
ERR: usbd_bulk_transfer fail status 32
ERR: Read ERROR start 0 blks 1
ERR: usbd_bulk_transfer fail status 8

usbflash0: contains unexpected values in partition table or boot sector.
Device needs formatting before use!
USB Console INIT
Initializing Flash...
mifs[5]: 12 files, 1 directories
mifs[5]: Total bytes : 1806336
mifs[5]: Bytes used : 833536
mifs[5]: Bytes available : 972800
mifs[5]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[6]: 2 files, 1 directories
mifs[6]: Total bytes : 3870720
mifs[6]: Bytes used : 1213440
mifs[6]: Bytes available : 2657280
mifs[6]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[7]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[7]: Total bytes : 258048
mifs[7]: Bytes used : 8192
mifs[7]: Bytes available : 249856
mifs[7]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[8]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[8]: Total bytes : 258048
mifs[8]: Bytes used : 8192
mifs[8]: Bytes available : 249856
mifs[8]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[9]: 650 files, 21 directories
mifs[9]: Total bytes : 122185728
mifs[9]: Bytes used : 46933504
mifs[9]: Bytes available : 75252224
mifs[9]: mifs fsck took 52 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
Loading "flash:/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6.bin"...flash:/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6.bin: no such file or directory

Error loading "flash:/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Loading "flash:/update/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5.bin"...Verifying image flash:/update/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5.bin.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Image failed digital signature verification

Error loading "flash:/update/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
image.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, 

I agree with @Leo Laohoo that try with boot flash:c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5.bin

and the second issue noticed:

Image failed digital signature verification

Can you try to download again from Cisco website or a different version of Image?

Your switch is not accepting the verification of the images. Either there has been some flaw in the way to you got the images and copied them to the switch or there is a problem on the switch.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In ROMmon, use the command "boot flash:c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5.bin".

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, 

I agree with @Leo Laohoo that try with boot flash:c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E5.bin

and the second issue noticed:

Image failed digital signature verification

Can you try to download again from Cisco website or a different version of Image?

Your switch is not accepting the verification of the images. Either there has been some flaw in the way to you got the images and copied them to the switch or there is a problem on the switch.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

This video was ultimately able to help me. A couple of things... The first switch i was working on, is totally dead, it won't come back with using the xmodem copy process. The other 6 that i had? Are fine now. 

Second, format flash: is important, and the proper syntax was also an issue:

copy xmodem: flash:c290x-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.bin, THEN use Tera Term to go to File, send, Xmodem Send, and choosing the file. 

the xmodem process will NOT occur unless it is told to look for that file, and then that file is sent. 

Also, I did not have luck sending at faster than 9600 baud, but it worked fine overnight. It was fine just letting it work at 9600. 

One last note. I wasn't able to get it to work on the USBconsole cable... :( Normal flat ribbon console cable, only. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxTO5qxti-I

Re: 2960X unable to boot from image

Brilliant Video attached. Much appreciate!

Why use x-modem when there is a USB port available?

The last time I used x-modem to transfer IOS files to a switch or router was 2013.  I have been using USB flash drives since then.

Could you share the syntax and drive file system requirements for copying an IOS image from USB drive to a C2960 L smart Managed switch which is no longer automatically booting and stucs in rommon mode even setting BOOT variable to this
flash:/c2960l-universalk9-mz.152-6.E2b/c2960l-universalk9-mz.152-6.E2b.bin
and there is no possibility to execute no boot manual command because conf terminal mode is not available. Any help in this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: