on a 2960xr (IOS Version 15.2(4)E7)

I run the following command,

Switch(config)# enable secret level 15 password cisco

but i failed to use password 'cisco' to login enable mode

what's wrong with this command?

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You see in the command builder at the top of your screenshot, the keyword password is in italic which means it's a variable (value you can decide).
In the right column, it's stated a password can have a blank space and show have a maximum of 25 characters.

In the example, they have shown how to setup a password with a space and with 25 characters.
This means the password would be: password secret123sample

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

If you want to setup cisco as password then your command is wrong.

You should enter:
enable secret level 15 cisco

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Capture.PNG

but Cisco guide has the sample...

You see in the command builder at the top of your screenshot, the keyword password is in italic which means it's a variable (value you can decide).
In the right column, it's stated a password can have a blank space and show have a maximum of 25 characters.

In the example, they have shown how to setup a password with a space and with 25 characters.
This means the password would be: password secret123sample

Thanks
Francesco

thank you. I got it.

Hi @Alex Wu

Good to know your issue solved,

Just amending one command that you can globally apply command "service password-encryption" to encrypt all the password.

BR

Tayyab

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

You're welcome!

Thanks
Francesco
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card