Helpful
Replies

3 remote sites interconnection issue

sandu_nastas1
Level 1
Level 1

Given :

- 2 Datacenters + 1 Users Site.

- Every site has a Layer 3 switch as a core.

Task :

To interconnect the 3 sites in a triangle as in the picture attached

The interconnection between Datacenter1 and Datacenter2 has to be a L2 extension in order to have High Availability Clusters on 2 sites

Solution:

I decided to inteconnect the sites as follows:

- DC1 (Datacenter1) - DC2 : L2 Trunk link

- DC1 - Users site : L3

- DC2 - Users site : L3

OSPF between the 3 cores

DC1 - Users Site is the OSPF prefered link

For the extended VLANs (Between DC1 and DC2) there will be HSRP implemented on DC1 and DC2 core switches.

PROBLEM :

The problem comes when the trunk link between DC1 and DC2 Core switches goes down:

Suppose that in HSRP - DC1 Core is Active and DC2 Core is Passive.

1. When the trunk link goes down, HSRP of DC1 thinks that DC2 went down - so it stays Active. But DC2 HSRP thinks that DC1 is down, so it changes the state from Backup to ACTIVE. So now we have 2 IP addresses of 192.168.10.1 on the network.

2. The servers (.10 and .11) will also loose the interconnection. So they will also both be active.

This is a big problem.

Question :

How can we solve this issue ? Is there a way to make few changes in the design in order to assure that VRRP and HSRP continue to work correctly if the trunk link goes down ? (Duplication of trunk link is not an option)

Thanks in advance. Any answer is highly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Wilson Bonilla
Level 3
Level 3

Hello

in first place I would say the link between DC1 and DC2 shouldn't go down.

I would suggest
create a port-channel between DC1 and DC2, don't see it from bandwidth aggregation stand point but from high availability.

Regards
Wilson B.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card