Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 and 3750 switches

mailaglady2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a list of switches in the same family that I must test for different clients, now I need to know if my decision is not dangerous. below is the list of these boxes:

WS-C3560-24PS-S

WS-C3560-48PS-E

WS-C3560-48PS-S

WS-C3560G-48PS-S

WS-C3750-24PS-E

WS-C3750-48PS-E

WS-C3750-48TS-E

WS-C3750-48TS-S

WS-C3750G-24PS-S

WS-C3750G-24TS-E1U

WS-C3750G-48PS-S

WS-C3750G-48TS-S

I want to test only one box per family (3500 and 3700) using the recent IOS and approve that IOS on all these boxes, my believe is the functionalities are the same the only diference is the additional ports, forwarding rate and the number of SFP's. am I right?

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mpho

Your approach of only testing one box per family should be fine. There is certainly no need to test each box in a family. Perhaps the only thing i might do is to test a PoE and non-PoE switch per family.

Jon

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't forget the stacking capability.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your testing features of an IOS, platforms that run the same binary should support the same functions.

Although the 3560 and 3750 run "different" binaries, I believe they, more or less, are the same device except for the Stackwise provided on the latter. (Doubt there would be much need to test both platforms.)

Different catOS images. The code is a .bin file hence binaries.

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mpho

Your approach of only testing one box per family should be fine. There is certainly no need to test each box in a family. Perhaps the only thing i might do is to test a PoE and non-PoE switch per family.

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't forget the stacking capability.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your testing features of an IOS, platforms that run the same binary should support the same functions.

Although the 3560 and 3750 run "different" binaries, I believe they, more or less, are the same device except for the Stackwise provided on the latter. (Doubt there would be much need to test both platforms.)

Hi Joseph

What do you mean by "same and different binaries" firts time hearing that?

Regrads

Mpho

Different catOS images. The code is a .bin file hence binaries.

some of the model numbers you list included the IP base image (xxx-S), other models include IP services (xxx-E). Keep that in mind in your reviews and testing.

Does it mean every switch that ends with an xxx-S it means that switch is running ip base image then xxx-E ip services, Always?

Yes. Unless the image has been changed from IP Base to IP Services (or the other way around).

The hardware is the same, it's the IOS (and license) that is different only.

Thanks a mil.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco