Helpful
Replies

3560 sfp ?

T1success
Level 1
Level 1

am going for the the 3560.(Catalyst 3560 24 10/100 + 2 SFP Standard

Image (WS-C3560-24TS-S))

What advantage do i stand with this model.

The SFP (small form factor).What advantage is SFP IF I DONT INTEND TO USE FIBRE IN MY NETWORK ENVIRONMENT.

I will be expecting your reply.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mihai.gagea
Level 1
Level 1

SPF let's you choose what type of interfaces you want to use on the switch. You may choose between several types of SPFs like single mode fiber optic, multi mode fiber optic, copper ethernet and so on.

If you don't intend to use FO interfaces, maybe you'll make use of some RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.

About advantages, you may need to provide a candidate for comparision :-).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mihai.gagea
Level 1
Level 1

SPF let's you choose what type of interfaces you want to use on the switch. You may choose between several types of SPFs like single mode fiber optic, multi mode fiber optic, copper ethernet and so on.

If you don't intend to use FO interfaces, maybe you'll make use of some RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.

About advantages, you may need to provide a candidate for comparision :-).

The switch you have chosen comes with 24 10/100 ports and 2 SFP ports which are gigabit ports. These ports are generally used for uplinks.

If you do not wish to buy the fiber modules, then your uplinks would have a max-capacity of 100 Mbps which may oversubscribe the link.

you can also plan to use the GLC-T module on these ports which gives you an option having 1000baseT copper as uplink

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Thanks so much .

I am connecting from the providers equipment to the router and from the router back to the switch.

I nwill be using an RJ45.

Can you please give me an example of RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.I will be using a UTP cable with RJ-45 connectors.

I will be expecting your reply.

Regards

What kind of router do you have?

If the router has a Gig interface then it makes sense for you to buy the GLC-T module and terminate the connection on the SFP port.

If its a normal Fe port then you should be able to terminate it directly on to any of the 24 ports.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Thanks so much

I am using a Cisco 2811 (revision 53.50) with 249856K/12288K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FCZ100270JS.

My main aim is to maximize the use of the Switch.

If i use the GLC-T module on my router will i increase the speed and maximise the usage.

I already know i can connect it to any of the ports.

Thanks

Friend,

2811 does not have any Gig ports and hence the GLC-T module is not gonna serve any pupose for you.

The speeds does not matter as even though you have a Gig module conencting inside,the speed on the outside WAN would be mostly less than 100Mb

HTH

Narayan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card