cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560cx switch that keeps rebooting

jkay18041
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 3560cx switch at a property (I'm not onsite) that keeps rebooting 1 or 2 times a day. When I do show version it says "Last reload reason: Power-on"

Any ideas on what would cause it to reboot this frequently?

Thank you

20 Replies 20

It is interesting that removing SNMP from the config seems to have fixed the problem. We do not know your environment and can not assess the impact of running without SNMP. Would it be a reasonable alternative to continue running without SNMP?

If you find that you really want to have SNMP active you could try adding SNMP back into your config. If you add one or two elements at a time you might find how far you can get without restarting the problem and identify the SNMP functions that invoke the problem.

Since we know that this version of code does have issues, and consistent with Leo's comments about this version of code I would suggest that it would be advisable to update the version of code that these switches run. Instead of settling for a workaround (which might not provide the full functionality) this could provide a complete solution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I've upgraded the code to the stable version on one of the 3 units, I've added the snmp back to the config as well and will see if it still reboots. We could run without snmp but it's nice having it on so we can see if there is an outage and graph the traffic. I'm not a fan of using ping to see if a device is down or not.

Thank you all for your help on this matter!

I am hopeful that upgrading to a different version of code will be the solution. I agree with you about not wanting to depend on ping for testing reachability of network devices. And agree that having SNMP working is much better than having it not working. Please let us know as you get some experience with this new version of code whether it has resolved the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

As of right now 2 of the 3 devices have been running the new code for the past 24 hours with no reboots and no more errors in the crashinfo_ext folder.

Fingers crossed

Thanks again for the help

Thanks for the update. It is encouraging that 2 of 3 devices are running new code for 24 hours with no crashes and reboots. Please do keep us updated as your get more experience with these.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Keep the switches under observation. Give it about, say, three months and if everything is fine, please do not forget to erase (or transfer the files out) the folders "crashinfo" and "crashinfo_ext".
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card